Please list all known causes for TR brake pedal to go to floor?

TEEDOFF

Please list all known reasons why a TR Powermaster brake pedal might be caused to be suddenly easily pushed to the floor after the accumulator was pressurized(Aside from the possibility of leaking wheel cylinders?)? :eek: :confused:

Please clarify your answers by fully describing what you know(Or, believe?)could cause the above problem-and, why you think so? :rolleyes: :confused:

Did you recently do anything to the brake system before this happened? Or was it working fine and then it just all of a sudden went to the floor?

No, I didn't do anything to the brakes before this brake problem had occured! I was on my way to a local car show and the brake pedal suddenly got hard. I got back home and then I found that the 30 amp fuse was blown. I replaced it then, the fuse didn't blow anymore! However, after I had depresurized the Powermaster, I checked the time it took for the motor to cycle and turn itself off. It took up to 20 seconds! Then I replaced the accumulator with a new GM one! The time now is about 12-13 seconds to initially pump up the accumlator before the motor shuts off. I found no leaks anywhere-but from the first moment that I had replaced the 30 amp fuse, whenever I first started cycling the motor, I discovered that the brake pedal wanted to go to the floor(Not by itself-but only whenever I depressed the brake pedal during the cycling of the Powermaster motor)? The grey GM switch on my TR , was new from GM whenever I had replaced it approximately 200-300 miles back! I also replaced the Powermaster motor at that time, with a new one from Hank Terry! Lastly, I removed and replaced the check valve in the master cylinder-but, this didn't change anything either(Unless it helped the motor to cycle for 12-13 seconds(Along with the new GM accumulator?)? I can't envision in my mind, how the brake pedal can so easily be pushed to the floor during brake cycling, whenever my car always had a firm pedal(Before the 30 amp fuse blew!)and there were no ill brake symptoms at all? The brake fluid is also clean as I had replaced it in the reservoirs at the time that I had replaced the switch, motor, and the accumulator! My TR only has 46,000 miles on it!

Could the motor itself be somehow leaking back or something, causing the soft brake pedal-or, would you suggest that there is something else causing my brake problem? Since I have replaced the accumulator, the switch, and the Powermaster motor not too long ago, where should I look next, for this problem or, what do you think needs to be fixed to help solve this issue? Your help will be appreciated! :confused:

Quite possibly the power piston leaking internally inside the master cylinder assembly, about the only parts left you haven't changed.

Rebuild kit should take care of that.

If you aren't overly mechanically inclinded I would suggest replacing the whole thing with a rebuilt assembly from a vendor such as Cottons or an A-1 Cardone supplier if they still have them.

You still have to disassemble the system and pedal and all and re-install and re-bleed but it's less overall technical and detailed than the rebuilding of the master cylinder assembly.

Plus a good vendor will guarantee you get a rebuilt one that works.

Or you can convert to vacuum, a search should dig up plenty of info. on how to do that.

when mine went to the floor turned out to be the proportioning valve was clogged with old dirty fluid. i dissasembled it, cleaned it and its been fine since.

Well, today I just replaced the powermaster motor with a Brand new one but, this didn't solve the problem of the brake pedal going to the floor? :eek: :confused:

Since my cast iron brake proportioning valve had never been replaced under the GM recall, I'm wondering if anything inside this proportioning valve could cause my brake pedal to go to the floor without developing a firm pedal? However, if this could be true-then what is it inside the proportioning valve that would cause this? I'd like to picture this in my mind, if somebody might know the answer to this mystery? :confused: