Please help with timing gear set

GNXV6

Hey guys I just got my GN out of storage after 15 years. Ive been out of the loop for a long time and want to get my car going again. Anyways my front main seal rotted out and leaking oil so I took the front cover off and decided to check the 2 dots that line up the cam and crank shaft. its a 206/206 roller from Weber and I advanced it 2 degrees back then with the multi key ports. I cant remember how I did it with the timing set I have. Nothing is labeled on the sprocket. I added 2 pics for you guys to see. one of them has 2 dots on the crank shaft sprocket. Which dot is the correct one so I can line it up correctly? Also I found it strange that the 2 dots never line up when I keep turning the crank. I'm worried I installed it wrong but It ran great and idled smooth. is it because when I advanced it 2 degrees with the multi port slots the dots don't line up anymore?

Thanks
George

Attachments

• chain.jpeg
    chain.jpeg
    970 KB · Views: 148
  • chain2.jpeg
    chain2.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 145
Was the lower gear put on backwards? IOW, the dots/marks are toward the inside of the engine.

I tend to agree with Dale, if it ran OK, maybe leave it.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Was the lower gear put on backwards? IOW, the dots/marks are toward the inside of the engine.

I tend to agree with Dale, if it ran OK, maybe leave it.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I thought it might be backwards too but the dots are facing me. If the cam gear dot is pointing straight down would that put number 1 piston at TDC?

I thought it might be backwards too but the dots are facing me.

I understand what you are saying. Did Weber supply instructions on how the gear is laid out? I would have expected each key-slot would be marked along with a mark for the tooth that goes with it. Here is how Cloyes does it:

TimingChain_Cloyes.jpg

If the cam gear dot is pointing straight down would that put number 1 piston at TDC?

That would be #4 TDC. With the cam gear dot at 12 o'clock it is for #1 TDC.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Since it runs fine, "I" would leave it alone . . . . unless a confirmed cam card, degree wheel and dial indicator were available.

Ha, I think I've got it figured out. The two marks on the crank gear is for straight up (0*). Note the chain2 picture (1st post). The left dot is at a tooth and toward the outer side of the gear. That is the dot that lines up with the cam gear dot.

The right dot is more toward the inside of the gear and is the key way to use. Between the two of them that is 0* cam timing.

To advance the cam timing use the next key slot in the counterclockwise direction. Then use the proper tooth count in the counterclockwise direction for the tooth that lines up with the cam gear dot.

To help figure it out take another picture. First move the crank so that the cam gear dot is at 6 o'clock. Remove the crank hub bolt. Then take a picture straight on at the crank gear. Get the dots along with all of the key way slots.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Ha, I think I've got it figured out. The two marks on the crank gear is for straight up (0*). Note the chain2 picture (1st post). The left dot is at a tooth and toward the outer side of the gear. That is the dot that lines up with the cam gear dot.

The right dot is more toward the inside of the gear and is the key way to use. Between the two of them that is 0* cam timing.

To advance the cam timing use the next key slot in the counterclockwise direction. Then use the proper tooth count in the counterclockwise direction for the tooth that lines up with the cam gear dot.

To help figure it out take another picture. First move the crank so that the cam gear dot is at 6 o'clock. Remove the crank hub bolt. Then take a picture straight on at the crank gear. Get the dots along with all of the key way slots.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Yes! That diagram looks familiar that Weber sent me years ago. I left him a message to get back with me. the 2 dots make sense now. one for the key slot and the other to line up both dots on cam gear and crank gear. The slot for the 2A on your diagram is different than mine though. Mine's a couple more over. I want to see Webers diagram to make sure I'm not too advanced, but like I said it seemed to run pretty smooth. My next project is to install Julios Alky kit.

Thanks for your help and all the replies!

Cam might be off Alil and had to advance to get it on the right intake center line ?

Cam might be off Alil and had to advance to get it on the right intake center line ?

I went to the rollmaster website and almost all gear sets are just like the diagram that RmvBfrFlght posted. Looks like I'm 6 degrees advanced. Can It still run good like that? I still havnt put much boost through it yet.

I went to the rollmaster website and almost all gear sets are just like the diagram that RmvBfrFlght posted. Looks like I'm 6 degrees advanced. Can It still run good like that? I still havnt put much boost through it yet.
You really don't know where it is unless you degreed the cam in . If you are shooting for a Intake center line you would adjust the timing to get it right where the cam card says it should be . Example if the cam card says set it at 110 ICL and you are at 108 and the timing set is striat up so you would advance it 2 degrees so it shows 2 on the chain but in reality it 0 advance or retard