please help me with tuning

liv4gnz

alright walbro pump 60# injectors and adj fpr

its at 19 pounds of boost

when i raise the fuell pressure to compensate for the added boost it still shows knock and i keep adding gas its almost maxed out the regulator and still shows like 1.2 knock for a split second after i been on it?

should i just lower the boost or should i do something different with the fuel delivery?

please help lol i keep pulling over on the side to adjust fuel and boost trying to tune it all day and i still have to keep adding gas

o2 milivolts at idle warm is almost 800 and WOT its the same

why when i go WOT sometimes it doesnt register it goes to like 120 or sometimes doesnt read?

You can get rich knock from too much fuel and that sounds like where you are headed.

What is the FP set at line off right now?
What chip are you using?

Start at 43 psi. Do a WOT top of third gear run and see what the narrow band 02 says (I assue you are using the stock 02 readings) - should be 780-800.

Whoops, just saw the chip. Set the FP at what Eric recommended for baseline. Do a WOT blast and let us know what the 02's are. The regulator will add fuel pressure 1psi to 1psi of boost on it's own.

it adjusts it on its own? so all i need to do is set it once to 43ps1 and thers no use for it any more lol?

got a good walboro? there was a bad batch, check to make sure your fp is rising with boost, and not dropping off.

it adjusts it on its own? so all i need to do is set it once to 43ps1 and thers no use for it any more lol?

I take it as you are poking fun at my comment.

The fuel pressure will rise 1 to 1 on it's own, that's what the regulator does. If you set it at 43 and you run 10 psi, then it will rise 10 psi as well. (53 psi)

This is where the 02 comes into play to make sure you are giving enough fuel for the engine to run stoich.

but the only reason for an adjustable fuel pressure regulator is to just set it once and than forget it?

No, it's for the ability to modify the pressure as you modify the car and run more boost.

For your set up, you will tune it to run right then forget it. If you add injectors, bigger turbo, bigger intercooler, chip, etc...you will change the fuel pressure to suit.

ok i ordered teh chip before i told them about the turbo a week later i didnt know it was going to die

so i have to send the chip in for a update with the turbo and he sets a boost level as well?

so the chip is probably limiting the fuel so no matter how much i tighten the regulator the injector pulse is gonna be limited

can i use teh stock chip with 60#injectors to just get around for now or let the car sit till than

ok i ordered teh chip before i told them about the turbo a week later i didnt know it was going to die

so i have to send the chip in for a update with the turbo and he sets a boost level as well? that would be a good idea, yes the chip is burned to the current combo, if you add to it without telling them it will be a little off

so the chip is probably limiting the fuel so no matter how much i tighten the regulator the injector pulse is gonna be limited no really, if the chip is user programmable you can change the way it fuels

can i use teh stock chip with 60#injectors to just get around for now or let the car sit till than
no

so when he re programs the chip what is he actuelly going to change and how come when i add more fuel than it still shows some knock

Back to the rich knock theory. If you add too much fuel, you are flooding the engine. Now air and mass quantities of fuel under boost can do damage. Knock under regular conditions is air with not enough fuel, hot spots in the combustion chamber will pre-ignite the fuel on the up-stroke and push a head gasket out.

The re-programed chip will reflect your combo with a "baseline" fuel curve. Less tuning involved. The ECM will know what you have and be able to adjust accordingly. If it doesn't know what you have, it will use trims not consistent with what the engine NEEDS. Thus more tuning and possible damage. Expensive damage.

I'll say the same thing, just differently. Set the fuel pressure to 43 PSI and dont touch it.

Next, run engine and see knock and O2 readings. If you have no knock.. you can run higher boost and/or timing. If you have knock, reduce boost levels.

Your O2 target is 780-800 on pump fuel. If it goes leaner than that.. meaning lower.. add fuel to the engine by placing the chip into program mode and increasing injector pulsewidth. Do not touch the fuel pressure regulator.

If your chip maker made a chip for 16 PSI boost, you cant run 25 PSI boost becuase the injector constant was calculated for 16 PSI boost.

Next what the fuel pressure regulator does is increase fuel pressure 1 psi per 1 psi boost. So at 16 PSI boost you will have 59 PSI fuel. If your at 16 PSI boost and the O2 levels seem low, then check your fuel pressure to make sure its at 59 PSI. If its not at 59 PSI, then you have a bad fuel pump, bad regulator, clogged filter, electrical issue.

HTH

Think of knock like a plunger in a hypodermic needle. You are pushing up on the plunger and nothing will stop it. Suddenly there is a large expansion of pressure in the cylinder before it gets to the stop....the pressure has to go somewhere right? The cylinder cracks or something else fails to relieve the pressure. The plunger itself will break, the wall will crack or the seal will rupture. In our case (BEST CASE SCENARIO) the head gasket will make way for the pressure.

Now rich knock....Same initial scenario. Plunger goes up, but a 1/4 of that volume is a liquid that can only compress soo much. That will increase cylinder pressure and it has to go somewhere.

One thing i notice they never say is(Your Fuel PSI drops the hotter your car gets!) So set it when your car has been driven for a while.

Who is they?

The pressure drop is negligible, and the regulator will make up for it. If the boost increase so will the fuel pressure....no matter what.

Wait A Minute!

Have you tried calling or e-mailing Eric about this? He may be able to walk you through re-tuning the chip. Sorry I didn't mention this before, may save you a headache with the "waiting to drive the regal" blues.