Please help me identify this odd trans in my T-type. BRF or Not?

jdpolzin

OK, here is a little mystery that I need to get solved. I had a completely stock parts car that had 70K miles on it. I kept the trans to use as a spare and when I looked at the tag on it, I was suprised. The tag was a pink CK tag that was flipped over and BRF was engraved on it with a stamped serial number below. Than i opened up the pan to look at the valve body. My buddy told me it should say BR3 on it. It had BR1 in white on it and on the other side it had a yellow stamp but it was smudged and i could read it. What does this mean? the converter was a D5. The wierd thing is that i know this is the stock trans and that it never had any work done to it. It came in an 86 T type. Any ideas? I was thinking they might have run out of tags at the factory and just used a CK and engraved it on the back? Thanks guys! --------Jeremy

It is possible that the trans was gone through and the case was replaced and the code was engraved in the wrong tag. Outside of taking it apart you may not know. The D5 converter is correct, it should also have the larger 2nd gear servo, lighter governor as in the pic link above, the valve body should have a pinkish/purple colored stripe on it and a BR3 or BR5 code if I remember correctly. The boost valve in the pump is also larger, it is a .470 size stock if it is correct. I hope this helps you out.

Dave

OK, here is a little mystery that I need to get solved. I had a completely stock parts car that had 70K miles on it. I kept the trans to use as a spare and when I looked at the tag on it, I was suprised. The tag was a pink CK tag that was flipped over and BRF was engraved on it with a stamped serial number below. Than i opened up the pan to look at the valve body. My buddy told me it should say BR3 on it. It had BR1 in white on it and on the other side it had a yellow stamp but it was smudged and i could read it. What does this mean? the converter was a D5. The wierd thing is that i know this is the stock trans and that it never had any work done to it. It came in an 86 T type. Any ideas? I was thinking they might have run out of tags at the factory and just used a CK and engraved it on the back? Thanks guys! --------Jeremy

BR1 is the early BR v-b. It will work fine.
Someone probably put the old BR1 v-b on a different case.
The BR1 is an original GN Turbo T v-b as well.

Are the BR3 or BR5 valve bodies better than the BR1? i have access to any of them and would like to put the best possible one in this trans. Which one should I use? thanks for the help by the way! -----Jeremy

Are the BR3 or BR5 valve bodies better than the BR1? i have access to any of them and would like to put the best possible one in this trans. Which one should I use? thanks for the help by the way! -----Jeremy

I have never seen a BR5. The BR1`s have worked well for me when I have done them.
But, the BR3, if you wanted the latest version could be viewed as better.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Brian

several transmissions left the factory with the tags riveted on upside down and or backwards and were engraved as well.it was a manufacturing glitch.

Ive got a BR out of an 83 regal t-type. It has the small TV in it. I never checked anything else in it. Only the quick visual.

The only difference I have noticed between a BR2 and a BR3 was the throttle valve spring. I think the BR3 had one more coil on it. The wire diameter, coil diameter and the length were the same. This would decrease the spring rate slightly. I never noticed any difference in the way they performed though.

o any of you know who i may be able to call to find out the exact differences?? this trans is going in a Stage powered car and has everything Billet, Bruce at PTS considers this kit bullet proof for a 200R4. Of course anything is breakable but i have a lot of $$$ in it and want to make sure it has the best valve body.