Please help a rookie!!

airwolf

I'm trying a new laptop based scantool and need a little help with my numbers. I'm breaking in a new motor so i didn't get WOT numbers, only about half throttle, cause I'm chicken! Here they are:
WARM ENGINE AT IDLE: ON THE ROAD HALF THROTTLE
LOAD - 33 LOAD -- 255
IAC --- 16 RPM -- 3725
TPS --- .41 TPS -- 3.84
INT --- 126-130 not steady! INT -- 154
MAF -- 4-5 MAF -- 6
BLM -- 113 BLM -- 111
BAT --13.4-13.7 BAT -- 13.9
MAL CNT --30 MALCNT -- 66
KNOCK RET -- 5.27
RICH/LEAN CNTR-- 255
O2 -- .972
OLD PA3 -- 12
EGR -- 100%
The numbers on the right are Max values. Can somebody tell me what all this means or where I can find out. This program doesn't come with instructions. I'm fimiliar with the TPS and IAC. The rest is Greek me!! The car doesn't idle steady, it goes up and down about 25 rpm, between 775 and 800. I'm running a Red's 93 octane street chip. I'm also getting a RICH flag intermittently. Fuel pressure set to 42 line off. Any help appreciated!

What scan tool are you using? If you are using DirectScan or T-link then the BLM's and O2's show that you are PIG rich.

One more thing, if you max MAF reading is 6, your MAF is prolly dead.

Slow down there bandit.....I wouldn't say PIG rich.

BLM 111
INT 154

Looks to me like the computer was still in learn mode. BLM 111 is a 'bit' rich, but with the INT at 154 the BLM will go up. Actually...considering your using a Red Armstrong chip, those BLM's look pretty good.

At anything other than WOT, the O2 millivolts will be meaningless. Even at WOT, you have to be careful tuning by the O2 millivolts.

I don't like the knock retard at 5.27.

airwolf...are you going to the OKBuicks meeting in Claremore tomorrow. If you are, we'll take a look at it. The MAF number at the higher setting looks too low. The funny idle may be a MAF sensor getting ready to take a dump.

John

Scantool numbers

Thanks guys. OKTurbo, unfortunately I have to work all weekend so I won't be able to make it. The 5+ degrees of knock has me a little concerned. I'm trying this WINALDL scantool so I'm not sure of the accuracy of the numbers. I won't have my scanmaster for about another month. Do I need to come down on my fuel pressure to get better BLM #s? And how can I check the MAF? Like I said, all this is new to me so any help is greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't mess with the fuel pressure. BLM's of 111 aren't that bad....now if it goes down to 90 you might be in trouble. The high INT's will drive the BLM's down as you drive it.

As far as the MAF numbers, I would watch them as you drive around....or record if you can on ALDL software. At WOT they should go up...possibly to a max of 255...

I do have a spare stock MAF you could try, but I'm not that close to you in Pryor, OK. Just keep an eye on them and let us know what you find out. When you give it throttle the numbers you go up consideribly. You could try the old "tap" test....tap on the MAF with a screwdriver handle and see if the car cuts out when you're tapping.

A gallon or two of Xylene will up the octane....make it easier to tell if your knock retard is real or false. If the KR goes down with high octane gas you can pretty much tell that the Knock is real....false knock could be caused by bad engine mounts....down pipe/exhaust is loose....etc...etc...

Good Luck and let us know how it goes. It's pretty hard to diagnose some of these things over the internet...

John

Is the MAL CNT error codes?
My idle goes up and down by 25.
It looks a little rich but Red's chip were rich for me and I got knock with his chips. If the knock was at part throttle, I would suggest getting in touch with Eric Stage I for a chip.

Crap!!

I shouldn't have messed with it, but how else can a guy learn??!! I turned the fuel pressure up to 45 line off and went for a ride. BLM now 116 at about half throttle but drops to 90 when stopped at idle in drive. This time got 17 degrees knock at 3800 rpm:eek: Then I remembered something, boost setting!! Tried it again and boost is about 19lbs:eek: I forgot to even look at the boost guage I was so busy watching the scantool data! What a dumb@#$! I'm only running 92 octane right now! I'll turn it down as low as I can til things settle down! Hey ES1, I have no idea what MAL CNT is on this software, but it's not a trouble code. It's under the sensor data tab. I installed my Kenne Belle cold air kit and cleaned out the MAF sensor and the numbers were a lot better. Don't have them with me cause I'm at work so I'll post them later. I do know that the MAT went down almost 100 degrees! Where should my BLMs be and how do I get there!! Thanks for all the help guys!!

new scantool numbers,good or bad??

Ok, made a few adjustments and installed my cold air kit. Took it for a ride to get some numbers. Fuel pressure is at 45 line off. This is from the WinALDL scantool. Ambient temp was 91 degrees and running 92 octane fuel. I'll get better gas as soon as this runs out! About 3/4 throttle with 10 lbs boost. How do these numbers look??

Coolant temp--------182.8
Speed-----------------79 mph
Load -------------------255
RPM--------------------4600
TPS---------------------3.33
INT---------------------145
O2----------------------.933
MAF---------------------255
BLM---------------------128
rich/lean---------------255
Spark Adv--------------0
Knock Ret--------------7.38
Bat----------------------14.0

Again, I haven't gone WOT yet. I've only got about 200 miles on this motor! It felt strong and broke the tires loose on the 1-2 shift.
I'm happy with it power wise but the knock scares me. I can't hear it and don't have a knock guage yet, ordering a Casper's unit this week. Any ideas on how to get rid of it?????? Thanks!