Please don't shoot me for asking but...

McHaggis

There are many transmission experts that provide advise, help and parts on this forum for GM units but this one is the "F" word.

Forgive me for asking this but I have a friend that has an AOD behind his 351C and it needs a few modifications to make it perform better.

Can any one here help?

A lot of views but no posts. I suggest you Google for another site. This is a pretty faithful Buick site. I would'nt expect an answer..But at least you won't get shot, LOL!

I forgot, adding a shift kit, or a hi-po valve body, and good fluid is a good startt. Adding a cooler and finned performance pan is also a ggod move. Remember that the cooler your auto stays, the better it performs. Hope it helps.

A lot of views but no posts. I suggest you Google for another site. This is a pretty faithful Buick site. I would'nt expect an answer..But at least you won't get shot, LOL!

With your sign on I'll consider myself lucky not to get shot! LOL

I forgot, adding a shift kit, or a hi-po valve body, and good fluid is a good startt. Adding a cooler and finned performance pan is also a ggod move. Remember that the cooler your auto stays, the better it performs. Hope it helps.

Most of this has been done. These things shift 1-2/3-OD so to hold it in second you have to shift from 1st to 2nd then back into 1st once it's in 2nd. Not good for trans life or 1/4 mile times.
I've looked else where and so has the car owner but no luck so far and since this site is full experts and good guys I though I'd give you lot a try. :biggrin: Thanks anyway.

You can do the "epoxy mod" to fix the shift pattern so that it will hold 2nd, but then the issue becomes once you shift to 3rd, it can upshift to 4th.
Lentech and others kill OD with a solenoid, so you have to electrically activate OD.

I have a Lentech AOD Street Terminator VB with OD lockout.

You never want to do a WOT 3-4 with an AOD.

They have a weak input shaft.

It's a better deal to use a 4R70W and controller. Much stronger in stock form.

Jake

You can do the "epoxy mod" to fix the shift pattern so that it will hold 2nd, but then the issue becomes once you shift to 3rd, it can upshift to 4th.
Lentech and others kill OD with a solenoid, so you have to electrically activate OD.

I have a Lentech AOD Street Terminator VB with OD lockout.

You never want to do a WOT 3-4 with an AOD.

They have a weak input shaft.

It's a better deal to use a 4R70W and controller. Much stronger in stock form.

Jake

I've seen the epoxy trick but don't understand the "drilling holes" bit. i.e. where to drill etc when it looks like the holes are then filled with epoxy???

Once the VB is off can anything be done to speed shift times between the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts? He already has a B&M kit in it but it takes another 500rpm of so in 1st before it changes into 2nd after you "shift" it.

The AOD is decent trans once the two piece input shaft is replaced with solid shaft, most shaft upgrades never addressed the need for added bushing in front pump for stability but is doable if you have access to machine shop.
The next big issue is that the AOD drops working main line pressure on the 2-3 shift to soften engagement in stock form, the fix is a new PR valve and booster sleeve in valve body, along with 3-4 shift valve replacement to allow WOT 3-4 shift.
Problems can be solved, but not in any shift kit I've ever seen, many parts from 4R70W can be used for different ratios(2.84 vs 2.46) and does not need a standalone computer to operate, but complicated enough that most just stick a C4 or C6 behind Ford small blocks, never said things are easy, good luck.

Kevin.

What about the TransGo AOD-HP Kit?>> Ford Lincoln Mercury Reprogramming Kits
The B&M kits aren't designed well at all.

Thanks. I don't know what year the trans is but I'll get him to check iot out. Looks like the deal tho.

The next big issue is that the AOD drops working main line pressure on the 2-3 shift to soften engagement in stock form, the fix is a new PR valve and booster sleeve in valve body, along with 3-4 shift valve replacement to allow WOT 3-4 shift.

Kevin.

This is the sort of info that's going to help solve this. Thanks.

Any ideas as to how to speed up the 1-2 shift?