play in rear of tranny output shaft

MIKESGN

my gn is starting to have a clunk when i put it in gear so i tought its a u joint so i lifted it up today and found play in the rear shaft of the tranny ?

if you push up on the driveshaft yoke there is allot of play and side to side as well

is there a bearing or bushing i can change to fix this

the tranny was rebuilt app 2,000 miles ago

what do you think it is?

All used gm trannys have rear output shaft play to some extent with the yoke removed... with the yoke still installed properly is a problem. Either you have a a lot of violent pinion rotation upward in the last 2k miles (hard launches)... possibly caused by worn control arm bushings of frame twist. An aftermarket pinion stubber is cheap insurance if you have this problem. The only other cause of your problem is most likely carelessness of the rebuilder in reusing old parts. Ck trans offers a roller bearing to replace you rear output housing that should cure this issue entirely.

bearing

All used gm trannys have rear output shaft play to some extent with the yoke removed... with the yoke still installed properly is a problem. Either you have a a lot of violent pinion rotation upward in the last 2k miles (hard launches)... possibly caused by worn control arm bushings of frame twist. An aftermarket pinion stubber is cheap insurance if you have this problem. The only other cause of your problem is most likely carelessness of the rebuilder in reusing old parts. Ck trans offers a roller bearing to replace you rear output housing that should cure this issue entirely.

I would like to hear more about this bearing.

????

Since the original poster never mentioned a 400, lets assume he has a 200R4--which I have never seen one with a tail shaft housing. But to answer the original post--yes there is a bushing just inside the seal. IMO the trans will have to come out and disassembled. From his post I assume he did not remove the driveshaft in which case the play should be next to 0. If my trans, I would want to know why the bushing went South so early--maybe lack of lube in which case a new bushing will see the same fate. Best of luck.

There used to be a Hayden trans tool that would slip inside the bushing and push on the output shaft to draw the bushing out. I almost bought one back in 1990 but only had to replace one in the car and decided not to.

its a stock trans with all the usuall upgrades
billet servos,torque converter, shift kit ,etc
i saw the guy rebuilding it and i never saw him change anything thing towards the tail shaft?
he is a well known 200r4 performance builder in south florida

with the driveshaft in the car i can push up app 1/4 inch of play ?
and i can see a gap betwen the output seal and the yoke if i push up on it
the fluid level is right on and has never had a leak
all the rear end bushings are good has the aftermarket snubber on the rear ?
it shifts fine and quiet to humming growling type noise ?:confused:

i will take a small video clip next week and try to post it on here

1/4" of play? That would mean the case is trashed. The bushing is maybe .030-.040" thick per side at best. Is there even a bushing in the case? There would be a huge leak with that much movement. Need to see how much play you are actually talking about. See if the yoke is worn down where the bushing rides. Those bushings are part of the master kits that I get and ALL bushings get replaced in every rebuild I do no matter what.

Not what you want to hear but

IMO the trans needs to come out. I agree 1/4 in. is mucho play. If it's just the bushing gone--it may feel like 1/4 in. but not. I would still like to hear more about this roller bearing for a 200R4.

Maybe I'm crazy...

I thought there was a retrofit roller bearing to replace the factory bushing, but maybe I was thinking of my turbo 400, sorry... But I'm with y'all, it can't be as much as 1/4in of play without any leaks(i.e.pours) or weird noises...

With a 1/4 inch of play that thing must have felt terrible at highway speeds.

what i dot get is ,it is not giving me any problems, no noise(grinding ,growling humming) or leaks ?
at highway speeds it super smooth it never had a a vibrabration
i just have a slight clunk when i go from reverse to forward?
sounds like a u joint

Tranny Output Shaft Bushing

I had my tranny output shaft bushing changed with the tranny still in the car. Had a new rear end put in and set up last fall at a high performance tranny shop in Toronto. He found play in my drive shaft / tranny yoke and told me the bushing was worn out. Said that the proper way to replace it was to remove the tranny, disassemble and replace the bushing. However, he did say that he could do it without removing the tranny by using a tool that he had to hook the bushing out and then reinstall the new bushing.

Check with a reputable tranny shop ......if they know their stuff, they should be able to do this for around the price of that tool you found.

Changing this bushing will get rid of alot of vibration in your driveline.

dave

Clunk in rear end

what i dot get is ,it is not giving me any problems, no noise(grinding ,growling humming) or leaks ?
at highway speeds it super smooth it never had a a vibrabration
i just have a slight clunk when i go from reverse to forward?
sounds like a u joint

I'd check your gear backlash in the rear end Mike. Mine did the same thing and I thought it was u joints or something. Found a broken tooth off my ring gear when I changed the rear end fluid. Gear back lash was double what it was supposed to be. New rear end with gear set adjusted to proper back lash and tooth contact , etc fixed that problem ....but was not a cheap fix. Wish I had checked the toleranced sooner....may have saved me quite a few bucks.

Good Luck!

dave

something seems strange, if there was that much play it should be causing all sorts of issues including spewing fluid everywhere