Pistons ?

Turbopoul

What pistons do you guys use? Will they hold up in 20-25psi boost ? Do they make noise when cold ? Are they good for dd ?

Thanks ...

Diamond's or JE. If they make too much noise when cold, then there is a bit too much clearance. Noise when cold is not an issue though. (unless it's so bad that it wakes your neighbors.;))

I use TRWs Forged Pistons at 27psi...they are press-fit pins unlike the bushed pins on the J&Es.

TRWs = about $300 set new:)

Press fit is easiest if using stock rods. Stock rods are good to about 650hp, well tuned) If using K1 rods, then go with floating pins. If you are just doing a rebuild, and want to use forged, TRW/Sealed Power, are a good choice. They are very heavy, but only because of the wrist pin weight. The TRW wrist pins have a 1/4" hole in them, to help the piston meet factory weight. (NHRA stock legal) If you replace the pistons, be sure to have it balanced. TRW pistons will make it easier to achieve factory balance numbers.

Press fit is easiest if using stock rods. Stock rods are good to about 650hp, well tuned) If using K1 rods, then go with floating pins. If you are just doing a rebuild, and want to use forged, TRW/Sealed Power, are a good choice. They are very heavy, but only because of the wrist pin weight. The TRW wrist pins have a 1/4" hole in them, to help the piston meet factory weight. (NHRA stock legal) If you replace the pistons, be sure to have it balanced. TRW pistons will make it easier to achieve factory balance numbers.

i have had a few scares using out of the box TRW 2481F's----------i have found that they can tend to bind the wrist pins due to the way the oil grooves distribute the oil---------after a few tries I studied the more costly pistions that I was also using and noticed how the oil ring grooves had drainback holes that put oil directly on the pins---------i fabricated a drill jig that lets me put precision placed drainback holes just like the higher priced pistons--------seems to work just fine-------- as for the pins i use the pins with the larger holes that are much lighter and rebalance the entire assembly--------makes for a real high quality build at a really attractive price.........RC

Stock, JE, CP. Stock will last a long time if the tune is good and the power is under 600. The stock piston is heavy but it is a proven design that lasts. Stock are probably the best choice for under 600hp since the engines were built to last a hundred thousand miles and the alloy/design had the most R&D of anything mentioned here.

Stock, JE, CP. Stock will last a long time if the tune is good and the power is under 600. The stock piston is heavy but it is a proven design that lasts. Stock are probably the best choice for under 600hp since the engines were built to last a hundred thousand miles and the alloy/design had the most R&D of anything mentioned here.

i have to agree that the stock pistons were really great design especially for the moderate engines--------problem is that they have not been available for quite a few years...............RC