Pistons for 9:1 Compression

DJackson1357

Are there any decently priced pistons that will get a 0.020" over 3.8 to approximately 9:1 compression, or is this better reached through decking the block and using a thin head gasket?

I'm working on putting my dad's 3.8 back together (206 roller, champion irons, TE-44, Dutt neck intercooler and meth injection) and would like to go with the higher compression to help the off boost response and driveability. Even with the meth I don't plan on going over 20 psi, and I'm not too concerned with max performance / high boost.

Thanks.

We use CP and Ross for most of our pistons, and they will set the dish size to our specs to obtain the desired CR in the customer's engine build.

Of course any "decently priced" turbo piston and pin will run ~$100 each, custom build could cost more.

If you do not have a Garrett exhaust housing on the TE-44, that would greatly improve response and drivability as well.

Like Nick said, to get a higher than stock compression ratio you'd need to get custom pistons made. If you want to do it with off the shelf stuff you sacrifice in other ways.:)

GN1 performance has some JE pistons that will get you in that neighborhood. I ordered my .040 stroker pistons for 650$ from them. Helluva deal considering everywhere else has them for 1000$

Im going with the Wiseco stroker pro tru pistons- I know webber sells them and im going to try to get a set and make 9-1 or better. Something to look at

GBGN1 said:
Im going with the Wiseco stroker pro tru pistons- I know webber sells them and im going to try to get a set and make 9-1 or better. Something to look at

Running 10:1 Wiesco in my car and the make the car rev so fast. Be prepared to spend $1000 on 6 pistons. But well worth it!

'87 Turbo T w/E85, 224/224, ported iron heads and intake, 80 lbs injector, TE45A, GEN II, TT and EXTENDER EXTREME G, XP Double pumper and something secret, 86 T-TYPE (Kenne Bell test car) and '11 Tundra Limited Sent from my iPhone using Turbobuick

With a 46 cc head they are saying 9.3-1 and with 43 cc heads your looking at 9.6-1 comp. look it up they are going for less than $500 in a few places--for stroker pistons

I bought my 10:1 way back in1997. Not many people back then ran 10:1

'87 Turbo T w/E85, 224/224, ported iron heads and intake, 80 lbs injector, TE45A, GEN II, TT and EXTENDER EXTREME G, XP Double pumper and something secret, 86 T-TYPE (Kenne Bell test car) and '11 Tundra Limited Sent from my iPhone using Turbobuick

DON'T FLAME ME AS SOME OTHERS MIGHT NEED THIS INFO FOR THE N/A engine.
Who knows, on a 3.8 he might be able to chuck them up in a lathe and slightly dish and have them coated, with a thicker head gasket it might come out the way he wants and still have cash in his pocket.
2-300$ sure is better than 6-900.00$

I remember reading about using the 3.1 pistons to raise it near 10:1..
Yes, I know it's a cast/stock piston but I've done searches on several sites to try and raise the comp of my 4.1 by using pistons and NOT milling the heads.
I did a search here and this was the first thread that caught my eye to RAISE comp, not lower it.

E

Since this was brought up again, couldn't you use a TTA head with stock TR pistons and raise the compression quite a bit? I haven't found the info on the TTA head as far as combustion chamber CC but I remember it being smaller than the 8445 heads.

I had a 'race shop' here in the memphis area tell me that they could mill about 060 off the head and with the right intake gaskets, the ports wouldn't have alignment issues.
BUT, with zeroing the pistons in the block AND then milling the head could run into problems.

I remember way before I found this site that a seller on Ebay, (mad dog racing I think) had high comp pistons for the 4.1.
Flat tops with eyebrows if I remember right.
Dang. i shoulda got them

E

Back when....My 3.8 NA engine was done by Rhere & Morrison. To get the compression up the block and heads were cut .030 each and I used TRW forged NA pistons. I know it was considered high at the time and I ran a total timing of 42 degrees. Not sure you can do that now though.

I had a 'race shop' here in the memphis area tell me that they could mill about 060 off the head and with the right intake gaskets, the ports wouldn't have alignment issues.
BUT, with zeroing the pistons in the block AND then milling the head could run into problems.

I remember way before I found this site that a seller on Ebay, (mad dog racing I think) had high comp pistons for the 4.1.
Flat tops with eyebrows if I remember right.
Dang. i shoulda got them

E

lmao.......... still want them? they are actually NOS stage 2 stuff.

Wiseco has a Forged Piston for stock 3.4" stroke, full floating pin, and Hastings moly rings for right around $470 Compression Ratio: 9.0:1 Wiseco P/N - PT120H3

What are the benefits of uping the CR from 8 to 9 ?

Thanks!

Franks86gn said:
Wiseco has a Forged Piston for stock 3.4" stroke, full floating pin, and Hastings moly rings for right around $470 Compression Ratio: 9.0:1 Wiseco P/N - PT120H3

What are the benefits of uping the CR from 8 to 9 ?

Thanks!

Faster revin' motor and E85 loves high compression. Also higher compression, you dont have to work your turbo as hard

CGASTON said:
Faster revin' motor and E85 loves high compression. Also higher compression, you dont have to work your turbo as hard

Also, 12yrs ago.... I paid nearly $1100 for 10:1

Thanks for the response! So I'll be fine with 9.0:1 pistons? Are there any timing adjustments or any other quirks that come to mind ?

Wow, Kinda forgot about this thread.
Here's the thing. My 'how to hop your V6' (or something like that) and that stated that one could use the 3.1 pistons to raise compression to about 10:1 , but only in the 3.8..
I was more interested in the 4.1. I remember reading of someone using the cosworth vega pistons in a v6 but shoot, I can't remember back that far..

Years ago I called Venolia(?) and it was about 85/piston for the 4.1. but dang, it would be cheaper to have the 445 heads milled.
This ISN'T for a turbo car.. Just a little rod and Normally aspirated.
Later E