Piston Ring Help

psycho6cyl

Ponies Are For Lil Girls
So I'm putting new rings in. Did searches and my head is swimming. The motor is pretty stout will be running excess of 22lbs of boost. Total seal has a couple of options. Which ones do I want? Will be doing file fit. What's the best gap to run? Thx

Check out the tech section on the total seal website?

http://015ef8d.netsolhost.com/TechPage.aspx#trGaplessPistRings

One thing I would suggest is to avoid low tension oil rings for a street car. I think standard tension for the old Buick is 20lb.

If you have diamond pistons in the common bore sizes and standard ring groove widths, then you could go with one of the packaged pro-select ring sets like FTS sells.

Je pistons 3.810. guy at total seal suggested something totally different. I believe said stainless steel.

Conventional Total Seal CR5899 will be a fine choice. If you want something fancy and a motor that seals immediately, go with the AP rings. The bore needs a special finish to run them though.

I have used the AP stainless rings since they came out years ago. Many are behind in technology and are just finding out about them. I order them with a certain coating and machine work adding a hefty extra cost. They are a tough ring to file, but worth the extra work. Always use a standard tension oil ring. I would run .022" on the top and .024" on the second. Make sure to get the radial dimensions of your piston to make sure the rings you order will work.

What finish is required on the bore David? I was planning on running a set of your AP rings in the 4.1 im building.,...if I ever get it done lol

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Conventional Total Seal CR5899 will be a fine choice. If you want something fancy and a motor that seals immediately, go with the AP rings. The bore needs a special finish to run them though.

I have used the AP stainless rings since they came out years ago. Many are behind in technology and are just finding out about them. I order them with a certain coating and machine work adding a hefty extra cost. They are a tough ring to file, but worth the extra work. Always use a standard tension oil ring. I would run .022" on the top and .024" on the second. Make sure to get the radial dimensions of your piston to make sure the rings you order will work.

Well this is a rering job done in car. Lol thought it was lifted head. Replaced gasket still had 50% cyl leakage on leak down. It was 60% before head gasket

What finish is required on the bore David? I was planning on running a set of your AP rings in the 4.1 im building.,...if I ever get it done lol

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
Total seal recommends 3-5 strokes with a 280 stone, then 5 strokes with a brush. Lots of ways to achieve this. Get the radial dimension of the ring lands to know what rings we can use with your pistons.