PINKS..is it done?

I have only seen one turbo buick car in the episodes and it was yellow! I guess our cars run to fast for them...

It has gone to **** and I have drifted more toward passtime....

With 2 tracks in Phoenix I can see racing every weekend. The latest Pinks event was fun because I knew lots of the racers. Pinks style racing has never translated well on TV for me.

Me either...What so bad about him?... The guy is not perfect, but no matter who they hire (Rich or anyone else) to do the job, there will always be someone, somewhere to criticize him and post bad comments...Let's not forget one thing: Nothing is easier than to criticize when you're just sitting there on your ass, not accomplishing anything. Those of you who hate him, probably do because he's not running things the way you'd run them, so instead of whining, why not go submit your name to get the job...and see what happens!...:D You just can't please everyone...:rolleyes:
As for myself, I preferred the "All Out" format over the original "lose your car" concept, but that's my personal opinion, "bracket race" or not...:wink:...

Claude. :redface:

Well Said,

Steve

I have only seen one turbo buick car in the episodes and it was yellow! I guess our cars run to fast for them...

It has gone to **** and I have drifted more toward passtime....

John Nygun from texas was the first I saw where he messed up on his trans brake. Dick Kearney was in it before And a few others off the top of my head besides Tim Le Mays car.

Steve

To me the problem with the way the show was done early on "Lose your ride" was every show the cars had problems. Or seriously mismatched. Honda vs Turbo Mustang.

The latter(All Out) went too far with race cars. I think if they made it like the NMCA true street, NMRA true street.. where they had street cars.. without race car lettering.. it would appeal to a much larger broad range.

Just seeing cars with gutted interiors and slicks not allowed to win cause they went to fast was lame. :redface:
"Razor", I agree 100% !...:wink:

...except for your last sentence...
John Nygun from texas was the first I saw where he messed up on his trans brake. Dick Kearney was in it before And a few others off the top of my head besides Tim Le Mays car. Steve

Mike Nogrady from NJ, with his Cotton's Performance backed '87 GN qualified for the Englishtown, NJ episode but his shifter malfunctioned and wouldn't let him shift into 3rd gear, making him lose in the first round...:mad: It was very dissappointing for Mike 'cause he had his opponent covered before the shifter went bad...He would've likely won the run!...:rolleyes:

Claude :wink:

Claude
I grew up street racing. The purpose of the arm drop was to bring what happens on the street to the track. Meaning the main deal was to have two competitors race one another under their terms. Just like a race that took place on some deserted road at 2 o'clock in the am. The name Pinks meant for car.

The show lost it when the controversy started of guys not losing their cars, whining, hardship, etc. Problem I guess is bringing an illegal activity and trying to make it legal. Then lose it in weird negociations between severly mismatched competitors.

There's the gambling aspect and the racing aspect. They got rid of the gaming and settled for race cars. That's where they lost me as a viewer.

It's why so many watch poker. Somebody has to lose their shirt.

Bracket racing is what it is. I have always liked
Heads up. Maybe it's my street racing background

I will give my opinion and feelings as a racer since I was fortunate enough to participate in 2 of the Pinks All Out, and one Pass Time episode.

Yes, this is TV entertainment, BUT it is one of the few venues that is left for the grass-roots racer. The winnings are awesome, and the competition fierce. Personally sad to see Rich not be there, as he supports and likes the racers, and most of us respect him for that.

The most recent event in Phoenix had over 500 cars registered! :)

Of course race cars were there as well as street cars, and some really odd-balls that you never expect to see at a drag strip. :biggrin:

To run a field of 32 cars in a head's up race, they must be closely matched. In Phoenix, this was cars running from 10.3 to 10.6. I do not think there was any other bracket with enough cars to fill a grouping of 32?

Yes, I consider myself a grass-roots racer and am able to win a trophy or 2 and some $$$ occasionally at our local track. But to even participate in a nationally viewed event where the payouts are awesome, is very exciting and fulfilling, even compared to NHRA events especially in their "stock" classes which suck.

It is my hope that something similar can follow Pinks All Out if it does not continue.

There's the gambling aspect and the racing aspect. They got rid of the gaming and settled for race cars. That's where they lost me as a viewer.

It's why so many watch poker. Somebody has to lose their shirt.

Bracket racing is what it is. I have always liked
Heads up. Maybe it's my street racing background

Like you say, maybe it's your "street background" that makes you prefer heads up, and that's ok, I understand your position...
As for me, I'm rather the opposite of you, in the way that I've never really "street raced" and also that I'm not at all interested in gambling. I'm not thrilled either in seeing "someone lose his shirt".:frown: Money is hard to earn and losing it just to make a point...well, no, not for me.
I'm not trying to say that you're wrong and that I'm right, not at all...There's no wrong or right...It's just a matter of personal preference and "background" like you said. :redface:
My own background is probably different than yours. I've always been a "little guy" racer and that explains why I've always preferred the type of racing (bracket racing, that is...) that'll give everyone a chance at winning something once in a while, otherwise, I lose interest when I see that I don't have the slightest chance...:rolleyes:

and:

Yes, this is TV entertainment, BUT it is one of the few venues that is left for the grass-roots racer. The winnings are awesome, and the competition fierce. Personally sad to see Rich not be there, as he supports and likes the racers, and most of us respect him for that.

Yes, I consider myself a grass-roots racer and am able to win a trophy or 2 and some $$$ occasionally at our local track. But to even participate in a nationally viewed event where the payouts are awesome, is very exciting and fulfilling, even compared to NHRA events especially in their "stock" classes which suck.

It is my hope that something similar can follow Pinks All Out if it does not continue.

EXACTLY!

I used to race in NHRA Super Stock classes (I had a '69 Chevelle SS/KA and a '67 Camaro SS/GA)...I sold these "money pits" and started having fun with my then stock GN, and improved over the years, and now I'm having the most fun I ever had drag racing! :biggrin:

Claude. :)

Me either...What so bad about him?... The guy is not perfect, but no matter who they hire (Rich or anyone else) to do the job, there will always be someone, somewhere to criticize him and post bad comments...Let's not forget one thing: Nothing is easier than to criticize when you're just sitting there on your ass, not accomplishing anything. Those of you who hate him, probably do because he's not running things the way you'd run them, so instead of whining, why not go submit your name to get the job...and see what happens!...:D You just can't please everyone...:rolleyes:
As for myself, I preferred the "All Out" format over the original "lose your car" concept, but that's my personal opinion, "bracket race" or not...:wink:...

Claude. :redface:

Don't say I'm sitting on my ass, not accomplishing anything because I gave my opinion about a TV host. Thank You

Don't say I'm sitting on my ass, not accomplishing anything because I gave my opinion about a TV host. Thank You

Mmmm...I re-read all my posts and nowhere I mentioned your name...nowhere, so there's no need to be upset!...In fact, I was careful not to mention anyone's name. :rolleyes: I only expressed my views which are obviously different than yours, judging by your reply, but that's ok. Like I said, "you can't please everyone". Go ahead and re-read my posts you'll see...no one's name's mentioned. :wink:

Claude. :smile:

Mmmm...I re-read all my posts and nowhere I mentioned your name...nowhere, so there's no need to be upset!...In fact, I was careful not to mention anyone's name. :rolleyes: I only expressed my views which are obviously different than yours, judging by your reply, but that's ok. Like I said, "you can't please everyone". Go ahead and re-read my posts you'll see...no one's name's mentioned. :wink:

Claude. :smile:

I realize that... I just felt it was directed to everyone who posted a negative comment about him. No big deal... Its probably because I forgot my Midol today.:)

If this is the end of Pinks All Out, I'm going to miss it. I think Rich did a great job of bringing grassroots racing to the forefront. I don't see any other person or organization doing as good a job of it as he did. He was able to get the small guy excited in spending the year getting his car ready for the big event. I imagine Nick and I feel the same about the event. I'm afraid it will be hard to come up with another event that will get so many grassroots racers excited about participating. That's the sad part.

if this is the end of pinks all out, i'm going to miss it. I think rich did a great job of bringing grassroots racing to the forefront. I don't see any other person or organization doing as good a job of it as he did. He was able to get the small guy excited in spending the year getting his car ready for the big event. I imagine nick and i feel the same about the event. I'm afraid it will be hard to come up with another event that will get so many grassroots racers excited about participating. That's the sad part.

+1

That was great! I watched it over and over and laughed harder every time. He took his shirt off after he wrecked like he was some kinda tough guy and claims he has ridden bikes his whole life... LOL... IMO he kinda comes across as an A-hole.

YouTube - Pinks Rich Christensen wreck on motor cylcle

When he dumped the bike, I LOL'd. However, I'm glad he wasn't hurt and there really wasn't a need to take his shirt off. I can see what you mean by Rich C. coming off as a prick... I'm not sure if it has to do with hammin' it up for TV or if its personality. The one time that sticks in my head where he was jerk he had every right to be. I forget the race track, but all racers were instructed to NOT have anti-freeze in there radiators, only water, because they didn't want any down-time cleaning up the track. Some kid popped the radiator on his Firebird and bled coolant. They had him in the pressbox and Rich ripped him a new 'hole. He banned the kid from any Pinks events for two years.

The 4 wide Zmax race was the best episode I saw. Although, it's pretty much bracket racing- oops he went too fast, the loser wins!

They should get rid of Rich, replace it with the hot chick from the power block from spike tv. Run slower cars more often, heads up pro tree, no going too fast etc. Maybe even do a spec series episode where its SCCA like showroom stock other than tires.

I'm all for new skin (and I hear Jen Sterger is looking for a job :rolleyes: ), but I say keep Rich. He does value the racing aspect of the show, but I would prefer to see 12-14 sec street cars go at it in a quick 16 bracket. Watching that 4-wide Zmax race was awesome!!!