Pinion bearing

SCD

Hi:
One quick question about driveline vibration. I have read all the post about vibrations and think I have it narrowed to tail shaft bushing or pinion bearing. The question I have, can you feel the roughness of a pinion bearing by turning the pinion shaft.
I removed the driveshaft and tires and breakdrums and turned the pinion shaft by hand and it felt fine. Is it possible that there are a couple of nick on some of the tapered rollers that I can't feel when turning it by hand?
Thanks
Steve

Never seen a bad pinion bearing, but anything is possible? :confused:

The axles and axle bearings on the other hand are very common wear items in a GN rear end, and will cause the problem you experience.

Update on vibration hunting.

I put the gn up on my lift and ran the drive train and listened to the differential with a rake handle. I listened to all the bearings. Pinion, axle, and differential carrier bearings. There was no noticeable sound difference.
There was a slight vibration at the torqe converter so I moved it 1/3 turn and road tested the car.
The vibration in my front floor was gone but the rear vibration was still there.

This morning I started to tear the rear down, removed axles,(axle bearings looked fine). Removed carrier and found it!! Right carrier bearing and race pitted. Then I pulled the pinion shaft, those bearings were good also.

My question is should I replace the one bad bearing or replace them all. If I replace them all do I have to get this rear shimmed again? There is 60,000 miles on the car and ring and pinion gears look good.

Any input will be appreciated.

Steve

If you are in there i would do all the bearings.As for the shims most of the time you will not have to change the shims.Even when i setup a diff with new gears 85% of the time the stock shims put it right where it needs to be.

Mike thanks for info ,replacing bearings tomarrow.
20- 25 in. lbs on pinion bearing pre load right?
should I use 80-90 plain gear oil with additive or synthic with out?

Thanks again

Steve