Pictures of Blown Headgaskets

tta983

Stopped by the shop today in GA and picked up my 2 blown headgaskets for souvenirs. The one on the right side is the worst. Replaced with new felpros and arp headbolts. No piston damage. Everything else looks good.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 531
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 525
Nicely done. Welcome to the club.

Attachments

• DCP_1925.jpg
    DCP_1925.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 468
Try as I have - still not a member...........just a matter of time though.:biggrin:

1BADDAM that just shows youre not running enough boost.remember lean is mean.besides how are you going to learn anything. if you you dont take it a part.and put it back togeather over and over again!

1BADDAM that just shows youre not running enough boost.remember lean is mean.besides how are you going to learn anything. if you you dont take it a part.and put it back togeather over and over again!

Trust me...my VDO boost gauge has been at 30psi on more than one occasion. ;)

tta983 you did it proper - unmistakably and both at the same time:biggrin:

When It happened I thought it was the turbo. It idled good, but when you gave it rpm the engine would smoke something fierce. Lots of smoke out of exaust and the vent tube on the valve cover. Lost all its power. I never did get any water in the oil.

So much for needing new pistons and rebuild huh?

Yep, Fred said the motor is in good shape. Honesty is always the best policy.:)
Thanks to the ones on this forum that told me to get a second opinion.

Happend acouple yrs ago coming back from the beach .... Forgot it didn't have good gas in the tank over 20 psi at abt 135 mph stock everything

What people don't realize is when you start having lots of base compression and the oil starts blowing out of the valve cover breather's, the headgaskets are bleeding lots of boost into the crankcase before they are totally blown. Of course, before the gaskets actually blow, people run out and get a "catch can" to collect the oil....:rolleyes:. What they really need is to seal the dang engine's seals to keep the compression in the cylinders instead...:D My TTA was the World's worst for pushing the valve stem seals up off the guides which caused lots of base compression and smoking at an idle.

Should be picking up TTA next week, I had pretty much everthing checked out good, this included the engine, transmission and the rearend as well.

Everything seems to be in good working order. I even had new leather seatcovers put on the front and back.:cool:

tta983 said:
When It happened I thought it was the turbo. It idled good, but when you gave it rpm the engine would smoke something fierce. Lots of smoke out of exaust and the vent tube on the valve cover. Lost all its power. I never did get any water in the oil.

I had the same issue recently

No problems with mine, it is running good. The Razors Alky Kit made big difference. Running with "NO KNOCK".

What people don't realize is when you start having lots of base compression and the oil starts blowing out of the valve cover breather's, the headgaskets are bleeding lots of boost into the crankcase before they are totally blown. Of course, before the gaskets actually blow, people run out and get a "catch can" to collect the oil....:rolleyes:. What they really need is to seal the dang engine's seals to keep the compression in the cylinders instead...:D My TTA was the World's worst for pushing the valve stem seals up off the guides which caused lots of base compression and smoking at an idle.
my built tta has already done this !