pictures of a cop car turbo buick

Vendor Defendor

Out the window
i was searching, cant find any.. but i was telling a friend about how they used turbo buicks as cop cars. so, i wanted photographic proof to back me up

thanks

They used them in Hawaii for sure. Check in the Hawaii section if you want more info but I know for a fact that at least one of the guys that posts in the Hawaii section bought his car from a cop.

Here is a pic of a cop car I took at the airport in Honolulu a few years back.
GNCopCara.jpg

Honolulu :)

Acutally they stop using it in 1997-98. They only allow the max of 10 year for a partol car.

Does anybody know about the famed FBI ones? Were they later auctioned to the public? Who has one?

the connectiut state police used them for three yrs. i worked for a towing co. back then and towed some back to their garage when it was our turn on the towing list.

Not sure if he still has it but Jim Accardi(Vsix) had a gold FBI car about 3 months ago at his shop. Pretty cool car, i think it even had a shotgun holder where the center console would be....

It may be corny.. But in about a month I am going to create an avatar / photos.. I am going to put on (NOT BOLTED) but powered Whelen Strobes on the top.. I will post once complete. Just keep checking the link in my sig to see.. Like I said bout a month out.

Louisville Kentucky had a special traffic unit with 5 or 6 GN's. They auctioned them off before they got 100,000 miles on them. One of the officers bought his own back and as far as I know still has it.

I remember a article published in the GS-XTRA about '92 or '93 of a GN being used as a highway patrol car for I think Ohio or Ill and was driven by a real tall guy. I think the car had been confiscated. I've still got the mag of course somewhere @ home. It had a picuture of the car and the officer standing beside it.

Originally posted by DCEPTCN
Does anybody know about the famed FBI ones? Were they later auctioned to the public? Who has one?
Back when I worked in the Omaha area the GSA was responsible for all of the maintance on all of the government owned fleet vehicles and I would occasionally sell them parts. One day the manager in charge called up looking for a part for a turbocharged Buick, this was around 1988 or 89, maybe 90, and when I asked what the heck they were doing with that(I had read the article in Forbes about the FBI getting 100 T-Types in 86-87) he said the Feds(US Marshall and FBI) use it in undercover stings. When I asked if it was a GN he replied it says GNX on the dash(I cant remember what number it was). I also asked him if they had any of the T-Types and he said yes they did use one in Omaha but it spent more time in the body shop than on the road. He thought it went to the auction about year earlier since he remembered the car fondly as everyone loved to go for joy rides with it. At that time all GSA vehicles went to the big auctions like American and Manheim so I would think unless one got totaled in an accident they probally made onto the used car lots for the public to buy.

louisville police had 11 of them. i know somebody who has one of them with around 200k miles on it and drives it 70 miles round trip to work every day. they supposedly still have one. i remember they used to sit on the watterson expressway and nail speeders.

Did the police GNs have anything like the sedan cop cars had, stronger frame, brakes, cooling ect?

Originally posted by victa1
Did the police GNs have anything like the sedan cop cars had, stronger frame, brakes, cooling ect?
The FBI cars had the speed limiter removed from the chip and speed rated tires. Nothing else special about them. Also no secret part numbers in the books for any cop equipment like the 9C1 Caprice/Impala and B4C Camaros.

Originally posted by turbofish38
The FBI cars had the speed limiter removed from the chip and speed rated tires. Nothing else special about them. Also no secret part numbers in the books for any cop equipment like the 9C1 Caprice/Impala and B4C Camaros.
So there really isn't any difference between the FBI cars and every other turbo Regal on the road today.................LOL

Different chip, speed rated tires, and factory top post battery. I know of some which have larger power steering pumps mounted directly to the inner fender without the use of a bracket.