Picture of smaller propane tank

Turbo__Tim

One heck of a Tim!
Ok guys I have finally found a way to show you a picture of the smaller propane tank I found. I bought 7 of these tanks and now want to get my money back (ok I will make a tiny bit for the time spent shipping them ;)) Here is the link, and the picture.

Note that the tank in the picture is in a horizontal position. This is not the way the designers/makers of these kits reccomend they be mounted. They are supposed to be up-right, to avoid the possibility of liquid entering the system. (though it worked for me, in brief testing..;))

If anyone wants a tank, and doesn't have the money for one just yet, E-Mail me and I will hold one back for you for a month or two. I'm in no hurry to get rid of them, and would rather see my Buick Brothers get one.

Yes you can get a larger tank for less, (propane dealer charges $30 for the opd installation) but I like the looks of this....

BTW there is no opd valve on the tank I used in testing, ($5 bribes go a long way;)) and I'm not sure at all if this allowed it to work correctly in the horizontal position. Perhaps Jay could offer an opinoin? :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2085668208

Originally posted by Turbo__Tim
BTW there is no opd valve on the tank I used in testing, ($5 bribes go a long way;)) and I'm not sure at all if this allowed it to work correctly in the horizontal position.

My tank is non OPD- but both types are subject to vertical use requirement. The tanks vapor draw only in vertical use, horizontal use will cause liquid draw unless the tank is almost empty. Both OPD and non-OPD draw vapor from the top. If you fill the tank and turn the tank horizontal and open either the main tank valve or the bleed screw, you will see liquid flow instead of vapor. Since the liquid expands to 270x once it vaporizes you do not want liquid propane flowing into your system.

Joe

You can take this with a grain of salt as Im just telling you what I was told but it is now illegal to refill non OPD propane tanks according to the locals that fill tanks for me.

Originally posted by JayC
You can take this with a grain of salt as Im just telling you what I was told but it is now illegal to refill non OPD propane tanks according to the locals that fill tanks for me.

I have read the same. This is an example of another regulation aimed at the lowest common denominator, because some propane dealer somewhere failed to follow basic safety practices, I suspect. So we all pay more for OPD tanks.

Joe