Pics - GN1's/valve covers with heater box?

GangsterMD

Turbo'd since '95
I got my engine in the car today and it was a tight fit - a little too tight. Check out these pics, the passenger side valve cover is hitting the a/c-heater box heat shield. Is this normal? What do I have to do?
P.S. Not sure why the pic looks like my rad cover is rusty :eek: It's NOT ;)

Attachments

• DSC02025B.jpg
    DSC02025B.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 511
  • DSC02026B.jpg
    DSC02026B.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 516
Talk about squeeking it in. The only thing I can think of is pulling the engine and trying to shift the frame pads some to the left.

not all frames are created equal, especially in the 80's. Mine come real close too, almost impossible to remove the covers.
I've seen alot of people remove the heat shield for this reason, and use a header wrap on the down pipe. Or do as Charlief said, and try and gain some clearance by moving around the frame pads.

I took the heat shield off and notched it to clear the valve cover. I have the M&A valve covers.
Tarey

Ok, so I pulled the motor out enough to get the heat guard off and set it back into the mounts. With the rear mount tight I've got about 3/8" clearance. Still I doubt that I could get the valve cover off though. I installed new HR mounts so hopefully the motor doesn't hit? Any thoughts? Has anybody had any luck with moving motor mounts around? Also perhaps I could lift the trans mount a bit? Actually I bought a new mount, but it was the wrong one, so maybe a new rear mount would sit higher, and therefore gain a bit of clearance?

My GN1 covers are real close too...I did get rid of the heat shield though...as far as getting the cover off...not a problem...I remove the hard coolant lines attached to the intake first and the valve cover comes off easily...what rockers are you using?...I have T&D 1.65's...also have GN1 heads...14 bolt

I've got Scorpion 1.55's on 14 bolt GN1's. I'm glad to hear that your covers come off still - I had fears of lifting the motor to re-torque the heads :eek: I have to put my eye on a stick just to see that lower bottom bolt.

Yep lower rear bolt is not easy to get to...what I use is a 10mm Gearwrench...a 1/4" Gearwrench adapter that snaps into the ratchet part of the wrench...essentially makes the wrench a low profile 1/4" ratchet...fits back there perfect...don't think it would work with the heat shield in place though...

Sorry I guess you were talking about the back lower head bolt...yes that is a pain to get to...I was able to retorque all the heads stud nuts on mine but the 2 rear ones on pass side were a PITA...

Yep lower rear bolt is not easy to get to...what I use is a 10mm Gearwrench...a 1/4" Gearwrench adapter that snaps into the ratchet part of the wrench...essentially makes the wrench a low profile 1/4" ratchet...fits back there perfect...don't think it would work with the heat shield in place though...

Gear wrench? Post some pics for the wrench setup please.

We have them on shaft and paired [Jessel style] rockers up to 1.75:1. :biggrin:

Should work on Scorpions, but no local cars run them, so I have no personal experience with low profiles on how they fit there.

i had a problem getting the passenger side stock valve cover off once i put h&r motor mounts on. i had to undo tranny mount and jack up tranny to tip engine forward to gain the clearance i needed.