Picked up a new ride....Mustang GT

Scott A.

I did something the other day I never thought I'd do.....ended up buying a 96 Mustang GT convertible. I have not gave up on Buicks, just wanted to try something new for awhile. I never really cared too much for the Mustangs until I drove one a few years ago, and have been secretly looking for a deal on one since then. Its no comparison to the GN, speedwise, but still a fun car. I wanted a car I could drive & enjoy without having to work on it or be affraid of somebody taking it. I'm getting more paranoid about driving the GN anywhere these days. The kids can't wait until the weather breaks to ride in it.

Its a 5-speed with a short throw shifter & sounds like an aftermarket exhaust. The seller just had a new top put on and the leather seats refinished, along with a the new tires and Cobra wheels, plus all new brakes and rack & pinion. Think he took a beating on it, but was looking to sell it quick. Runs and drives really well, has 95k miles on it.

Anybody here familiar with the 4.6 motors?

Attachments

• Mustang.jpg
    Mustang.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 344
  • Mustang2.jpg
    Mustang2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 333
Nice ride, you will have LOTS of fun with that!:)

Few years ago a good friend had a similar convert, and I loved driving the 6 speed. He also had a 10 sec. GN, but the Mustang was especially cool on the street with the top down.:cool:

Also, some really nice street/strip Mustangs locally that run high tens on pump gas and get decent mileage.

Enjoy!:D

Anybody here familiar with the 4.6 motors?

My experience is mostly with the windsor 5.0 and 5.8s. There are several good sites to get info and tips. corral.net is a good site and there are several sites dedicated to Modular performance.

modularfords.com Friends with the owner tell him Doug sent ya

just don't try to make it fast and you will love it.

Enjoy it for what it is... a slow turd that's fun to drive in a 90's sort of way.

If you want a fast mustang, buy one that way. It's much cheaper.

I had a 96 model GT, fun car, threw almost every bolt on part on it besides n2o, heads, or blower, and it was still pretty slow. (I thought it was fast until I got into buicks). Steeda makes some nice innovative stuff for those motors like the pullies and timing adjusters. Swap the heads for some 99 or newer PI heads or some aftermarket alum ones. Get an aluminum upper intake to replace that plastic POS - I blew apart about 5 intakes on my car and it never saw n2o, blower, turbo, nothin. Good luck.

Thanks for the info! Not to worry, I won't be putting any money into trying to make it fast....that's what the GN is for!

Thanks for the info! Not to worry, I won't be putting any money into trying to make it fast....that's what the GN is for!

I said that too when I bought my LX...............already spent more on parts and goodies then I did on the car.:redface: Bought it for $4k and put another 4k into it, still have more to go to. Just not gonna happen now.;)

My brother had a SVT that had a complete stock motor with long tube headers, Mac exh, Vortech S-trim making 8psi, T-Rex pump and 4.10 gears and ran 11.60 @ 123mph on et streets, and thats on 94 Sunoco pump gas (no race fuel)

i did that too. never ever thought i would, but over 10 years of buicks it was time for a change. ya its pretty slow but its way more fun to row through the gears and the 32v 4 cam engine is one of the best sounding v8s i have ever heard.
Picture027.jpg
Picture028.jpg

A friend of mine let me drive his tripple black 97 Cobra convertible a while back, and I liked it a lot. I wasn't necessarily looking for a Cobra, just a clean GT convertible and found this one. Almost same situation, had the GN for 11 years, and wanted to try something different. The 32-valve V8's do sound really good, but the SOHC 4.6 is fine with me. I tend to think it sounds better than the 5.0's exhaust notes.

Now if the weather will warm up.....