Pevr rebuild

luckyone

i pm'd the owner of the 301 garage and joe thought it was a good idea to share info on this so here is the link Destroying the PEVR! i had the idea and wanted to share the ideas of the 301 garage on this great site knowing that we as carbed/turbo car owners share the pain of having the same obsolete part problem. the infamous pevr! so i thought with what a few guys over there did and maybe a few ideas from here,(some who does or maybe knows someonethat has skills in the art of molding of the diaphragm or machining a new housing)we could overcome this achilles heel! come together and finalize a solution. so like i said it is just a thought i had to join together and try to come up with a plan.:cool:

I joined the board so I could do some more reading and maybe we can trade info back and forth. We need their inducer housings and they need our exducers so it may work out for both of us.

awesome charlie !!!! please introduce yourself too!i know you are a wealth of knowledge and you will get along good with these guys trying to make these cars even better. joe is also from texas too i believe, maybe you guys live close to one another he is pretty up on the 301t but mostly a keeping it original guy but i know he understands the mod guy too .. lets band together in a greater cause for all of us!!!

PM one of the admin over there so he can approve me as a member. Still waiting on an email from them. Same name as here so it should be easy to find.

And close in Texas is relative. One of my best friends lives "close" and it's about 140 miles round trip for either of us. LOL

thanks for posting the link.
so charlie are you going to make one? i know there was talk of making one a while back

thanks for posting the link.
so charlie are you going to make one? i know there was talk of making one a while back

There's a guy over there that rebuilds them so it's pretty much a moot issue now.:biggrin: I invited them over to do some reading here and we may be able to trade info as well as a few parts back and forth.:cool:

There's a guy over there that rebuilds them so it's pretty much a moot issue now.:biggrin: I invited them over to do some reading here and we may be able to trade info as well as a few parts back and forth.:cool:

with you, me and AJ the only one who has done the 301 it will help out. maybe everyone can have a 301 turbo. maybe i should join that site. who knows.

with you, me and AJ the only one who has done the 301 it will help out. maybe everyone can have a 301 turbo. maybe i should join that site. who knows.

We're not the only ones but we are the only ones that are willing to post about it. Philbuilt65 gave me some info as well as getting a hint of GN/Ttype.org. Took me a long time to figure out how to do it but it is a great up-grade.:biggrin: Join the site so you can do a little reading. If nothing else it will help you understand the car you have now.:cool:

My PEVR was shot/bad. I checked into the 301 garage forum, saw the rebuild project, and I'm rebuilding mine myself. The PEVR was not that difficult to get apart, you have to take your time so you don't damage the plastic housing.

My biggest challange has been finding suitable diaphragm material. The diaphragm material inside these babies is 3/64 inch thick (.047" +/- .005") and is a reinforced material ... nylon reinforced I think.

There are 2 different types of material used to reinforce rubber sheet, cloth and nylon. So I have been trolling all sorts of sites ... McMaster, Grainger, Autozone, Napa among others. I MAY have found something this week in, of all places, a marine store .. a diaphragm for a Mercruiser fuel pump. Waiting for that to come in to see if it will work or is similar, in the meantime, I'll keep on looking around.

I think most individuals should be able to tackle this repair though​

Well, The pics at the 301 Garage in the 'Destroying the PEVR' are a great start and reference for anybody wanting to tackle it. Material type/vendor, prepping the PEVR, installation and reassembly technique/procedure, that I can handle.

Detailed pics and instructions would be great if you can.:)

Man, finding suitable diaphragm material is a pain. I think I may have found something that might work from McMaster-Carr.

It is a high temperature (-30 to 300F), Oil resistant, Buna-N (Nitrile) rubber 1/32" thick (though the sample I got is thicker than that but within manufacturer called out specs) the part no. is 1861T21 on their website 1500psi burst, 60A Durometer hardness and it meets Mil-Specs.... now to try and cut and reassemble....stay tuned

Well, The pics at the 301 Garage in the 'Destroying the PEVR' are a great start and reference for anybody wanting to tackle it. Material type/vendor, prepping the PEVR, installation and reassembly technique/procedure, that I can handle.

Keep us informed and make sure to take plenty of pics Peter. Knowing how to do this will make it easier to restore these cars in the end.:)

I took mine apart (Like you said, be careful of plastic) and found (cemented) a large piece of heat-shrink (cut circular). I epoxied it together (The two halves) and it's all set. "No big deal" (the diafram was torn / worn in mine thus vacuuming fuel) Whats amazing is that the orface holes so small !!! *(in /at the base where same threads into the intake) !

It was interesting to watch the thing move ever-so-sleightly upon vacuum / pressure tests ... anyway, it works fine. :)

No ... "I never gave it any thought" ... (I didn't see this thread) :(
Theirs a "check-valve" modification I saw somewhere, (that replaces a PEVR) .... it seemed a little "involved"
so I took the thing apart, (very simple switch / vacuum spring orface design) ...and after 10-15 minutes time spent,
waiting for the epoxy to dry was the the longest part.

Very easy to do.

Update: I found more P.E.V. R Valves & was curious ...

Does someone "rebuild" these here (aside of what I did to mine that's different ?) < I removed the machine tamped "taper" and took the halves apart replacing the old diafram with a perfectly cut piece of LARGE shirk-rap to re-do mine >. *as outlined above*

Anyway, If yes, at what cost, and what material did you use ?

OR: < perhaps the "check valve" options a better one ? > (omit PEVR all-together)

Just thinking.