Personal watercraft

Little6pack

Anyone here own Personal watercraft/jet skis?

Been really wanting to get one that holds 3 people so I can use on the fresh water river near me or at Cape Cod Ocean.

Dang these things are expensive new!

I see a local dealer selling a used 2004 See-Doo GTX 4-TEK SUPERCHARGED 185-HP one for $5kw trailer.. It even has a ski pole on it.

Question: what to watchout for or questions to ask if you never owned one?

Check craigslist, you should be able to get some end of the season deals on there. That one you mentioned doesn't sound like a bad deal though.

Sea doo is a great ski,The GTX supercharged is a nice peice.
If it has many hours on it pull the supercharger and have it rebuilt
That is the biggest known problem with them,It wont run you
but a few hundred to do it,real cheap insurance,and if it goes bad it can snowball into bigger problems with the motor.

I bought a new Sea Doo RXT-X 255 last year,it has 60 hours on it
and has not given me any problems short of something i caused myself.
I did replace my supercharger with a larger one,(took Cal's bigger one so
he could buy an even bigger one.

Mine has gone 72.9 MPH measured with a GPS, Cals is highly modded and
has run over 84 MPH:eek:

I agree with the above advice. Sea Doo seems to be the leader. I have owned 2 Kawasaki and 4 Yamaha skis. Burned up the motor again in my 99 Yamaha GP1200 last year and I am replacing it right now. Tossed around the idea of replacing it and even did a bunch of research but decided to fix the one I had. They are expensive new but I would buy a Sea doo if I went that route. I have my old 98 GP1200 to scavenge parts from. My only other advice would be to check if it was used in salt or fresh water. Fresh water is easier on parts.

we have 2 here yamaha and a kawi and both are just awesome!! and yes that is a good deal, make sure you check it out and ride it before you buy, but yes they are expensive, the yamaha deluxe is at $8,699
i've had no problems at all, with either one but i did have them since new
and i do take care of them. good luck

ahh !! christmas day and were testing the yamaha :biggrin:

Attachments

• jet.JPG
    jet.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 138
I have a couple of old Jet-Ski’s. They are no match or even close to what is available now. I hardly ever use them and I keep saying I’m going to get rid of them. I just don’t find time anymore to get out. My three year old son and I went out last Tuesday for the first and most likely the only time this year. We had a blast! Every time I do get out I remember why I keep them around. We packed plastic shovels and pails under the hood and went to the beach and made sand castles. My son is a typical boy saying things like “I want to go faster” and “let me hear the turbo sing”. He thinks everything has a turbo.

Attachments

• ski.JPG
    ski.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 116
I see a local dealer selling a used 2004 See-Doo GTX 4-TEK SUPERCHARGED 185-HP one for $5kw trailer.. It even has a ski pole on it.

Question: what to watchout for or questions to ask if you never owned one?

Check the engine mounts for cracks.
Look at the impeller closely for cracks or significant wear.
Check for water stains inside the hull or on the engine . . .
Check the hull and plate for gouges.
Obviously the maintenance records.

Later AJ

The Big Honda is TURBOCHARGED!

2009 Honda AquaTrax® F-15X

With its turbocharged 1470cc engine plus a hull engineered for a superior ride, better feel on the water and great splash protection, the AquaTrax® F-15X serves as the perfect choice for on-the-water fun.

Unique Features

* Multifunction meter indicates approximate remaining ride time in minutes.
* Honda Ignition Control System (ICS) protects the engine from abnormal operating conditions but can allow the rider to operate the PWC in reduced power mode.
* Gear-driven dual engine-balancer system virtually eliminates high-frequency engine vibration.
* Crankcase breather system featuring three breather chambers prevents oil loss or breather-system clogging if the PWC is accidentally overturned.
* AquaTrax hull design provides excellent overall stability and exceptional low- and high-speed turning performance without sacrificing low-speed maneuverability.

Engine/Drivetrain

* Lightweight, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve, 1470cc, fuel-injected, 200-bhp, turbocharged, dry-sump, four-cylinder engine features a one-piece upper-crankcase/cylinder block engineered to withstand the rigors of marine duty. The low-emissions four-stroke design consumes less fuel than a comparable two-stroke engine and meets CARB three-star and EPA emissions standards.
* Exceptional high performance is provided by a water-cooled IHI turbocharger with water-cooled intercooler. The AquaTrax turbocharger produces a maximum boost of 10 psi to generate more power than a normally aspirated engine. The turbine bearing is an enclosed, ceramic-ball design that withstands sustained high-rpm compressor operation while providing nearly vibration- and friction-free performance. Water cooling of the turbocharger housing maintains optimum turbine operating efficiency, while the water-cooled intercooler ensures a denser intake charge to provide maximum power and combustion efficiency. An Electronic Control Module (ECM) monitors atmospheric pressure, boost pressure, engine speed, oil and water temperature, intake air temperature and an engine knock sensor to manage an electronic wastegate valve that controls turbocharger boost, protecting vital engine components and maintaining long engine life.

Keep an extra 2 grand around to repair it at all times:biggrin:

Well if that was the help you wanted easy . . .

It is a hole in the water to pour money into. :p :p

Later AJ

I have a few skis all of them are two setter’s sea doo xp’s and a stand up. I have ridden my aunt and uncles ultra 150 and a three setter kawi. The three setter is WAY nicer to ride for cruses. If you’re into playing in the meadow and ditches like I do a two setter is more fun. Take some one who knows what there looking at with them. You don’t want to buy one just to find a shot pump or it has been poorly taken care of.

The Big Honda is TURBOCHARGED!

My wife has a turbocharged Honda ski. I have done just about everything you can do to it except a Motec. I am putting one of Julio's Alky kits on it this weekend. They are probably the most dependable ski made, just not that fast.

The 2004 See-Doo GTX 4-TEK SUPERCHARGED 185-HP is a pretty nice ski. If you end up getting it, take Otto's advice and make sure you upgrade the supercharger washers. I didn't realize they made a 185hp version. I thought they were all 215hp.