PCV Catchcan

About how many miles do you get before you have to drain them? I assume if you forget to empty the can it would fill up and then act as if you had no can at all?

Originally posted by Renthorin
About how many miles do you get before you have to drain them? I assume if you forget to empty the can it would fill up and then act as if you had no can at all?
Just have to periodically check it and get familiar with how quickly your car fills it up. My GN is always dry, my truck fills it up in about 900 miles.

I too would like to know where to buy the check valve. Would it be similar to the black and white check valves that came on the car?

tried to order the thing and the paypal button does not work ! Says an error occurred! :confused: Disregard, Got it to work! Gettin the blue one!:D

made one up using a condensate drain housing( aluminum 2 piece housing w/ o-ring seal. can find @ mcmaster-carr), filled with steel wool (fine mesh inserts on both sides to keep wool from migrating). small enough to mount vertically in-line (allows oil to drain back into block). been using for the past year-all good, plus the cannister is good to 250psi i believe. the drains are about 50 dollars. will try to get a part number on here later if anyone is interested.

I got a pcv check valve from ATR. The plastic black/white one I would not recommend. The ATR one was metal.

I love the catch-can! Probably the best dollar I spent on the car in terms of bang for my buck.

I took a couple shots of it installed last fall and emptied about 2-4oz in a matter of 300 miles! Great piece of engineering and I trust it more than just a valve...

Check link in below my signature (website button)...i think the pics are under misc or engine bay...if i remember right

P.S. If you need a good company to help you with ANY type of check valve...then check out http://www.ark-plas.com. No, i'm not plugging them for material gain...just had to find a check valve for the catch can and found them through google. Easy online order and I think they'll send u a couple for free...it is a business that deals with mass quantity orders, but they send out "samples". Worked great for me :D

Originally posted by Maltman
I love the catch-can! Probably the best dollar I spent on the car in terms of bang for my buck.

I took a couple shots of it installed last fall and emptied about 2-4oz in a matter of 300 miles! Great piece of engineering and I trust it more than just a valve...

Check link in below my signature (website button)...i think the pics are under misc or engine bay...if i remember right

P.S. If you need a good company to help you with ANY type of check valve...then check out http://www.ark-plas.com. No, i'm not plugging them for material gain...just had to find a check valve for the catch can and found them through google. Easy online order and I think they'll send u a couple for free...it is a business that deals with mass quantity orders, but they send out "samples". Worked great for me :D

What size check valve did u run ????

I am tellin you. The one I got from Cottons is the right size 3/8. It is a heavy duty viton check valve and goes straight in line. Works good.

Originally posted by disco stu
I am tellin you. The one I got from Cottons is the right size 3/8. It is a heavy duty viton check valve and goes straight in line. Works good.

how much was it and do u rember the part number thanks

Since it's not too much money, I would just get the one from one of our vendors, that way you know it will work well, and you don't waste money experimenting with something that may cause problems down the road. Plus, it helps our vendors.

I bought a check valve from Grainger's years back with the Viton seal, etc.. and it seemed to be working ok until I realized it took waaaaaay too much vacuum for it to open up after a while. It just got gummed up pretty fast and I ended up buying one off a vendor (I think it was ATR). Their valve was bigger, had the viton seal, and opened with MUCH less vacuum, and sealed boost up perfectly, unlike the stock PCV.

I've been really happy with my catchcan, and I have the valve inline with it like others have described. I could have tried to save some $$ by trying to make my own, but the guys who made the product did the R&D on it, and I don't mind spending a bit on something that eliminated a problem I was having and saved me tons of time, which to me is worth more than saving a couple of bucks.

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

I second Ark-Plas.com For the check valve (nylon body & silicom seal) Withstands up to 465 deg temps. I asked for some free samples and they sent me two 1/4 inch barbed and two 3/8 inch barbed check valves for Zippo!!!!! The three inch valves are what you would need to go in line between the catchcan and the Vaccuum source as the Kit uses 3/8 ID hoses. The Nylon bodied ones seemed to be the most resistant to heat and thec silicone seal was the second best next to viton. I got this combo because I could not find a listing for both a nylon body and a viton seal. The valve is only supposed to be installed in the return line to vaccum source/block atop plenum (according to Accurate machine's site). The blow thru side in direction of vaccuum source.

sorry about not replying earlier...but it would've been basically what turbojoe said above :)

Just get the phone number online, if neeeded, and the techs there are super nice and will help you out. I went with the same setup Joe is talking about and it works perfect.....and when something is "free"....well....enough said.