PCV Catchcan

slim

I just went out and emptied my AMW PCV Catchcan...and holy bejeezuz! I emptied about 4 ounces! of oil out of the thing. If anyone has trouble with their PCV sucking oil into the Throttle body then this thing flat out works. The top hose going to the TB was bone dry.

Here's a link for anyone interested:

http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm

HTH
:D

Yep, it's true. These things work. And a pleasure to do business with. Intake is nice and clean.

I just got mine. Can't wait to put it on. Not that I had that bad of a problem, but it was a bit disconcerting looking through the throttle body and seeing all of that oil pooled on the RJC power plate. It takes a few hundred miles, but I figure the extra oil in there has got to be contributing to spark knock.. Cheap insurance..

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

I am interested in getting one! Just how do you hook the thing up? Detailes on how to route and where to connect hoses would be mucho appreciated!!!:D

Just an FYI: This kit was originally designed for my personal GN, I have been running it for over two years with no oil contamination through the pcv.
Not trying to throw a "sales pitch", but it does work. Thanks guys for the responce on the catch cans and glad to hear they are working.

i got mine last april and just now got around to putting it in. havent checked it yet, but i could see some oil in the vaccuum lines when i put it on.

-jeff

On my BBC motor I ran an external oil filter mounted on a bracket. So the PCV would suck through the filter. The oil/water vapor would be caugt in the guaze of the oil filter. Every few months I would spin off the filter, and put a new one on. The cheap TD aluminum bracket with a small purolator oil filter.

This post makes me want to tinker with that again.

Thanks Slim.

I tried the oil filter thing on another car that was normally aspirated, and I didn't have that good a luck with it. The gauze would just weep the oil and vapor, and it would still suck oil into the intake area. I tried mounting it high, low, and with another check valve inline. Also tried using a baffled "puke" style can that was less sophisticated than the AMVC can I got for the GN. It would still crud up the clear line I put on to be able to see if anything was going to the plenum.

I know some people just pop a breather on the pcv opening in the intake, since they also tend to have breathers on both valve covers, but for me, the can works nice. I get about an ounce of oil every few hundred miles, and my plenum area stays dry.

I used to blow a puff of blue smoke on startup that I thought was a bad turbo seal, rings, guides, etc.. etc.. (insert nightmare here..),

continued from above, due to retardation on my part... :)

Anyway, the blue smoke stopped, my intake is clean, and I thought the can system was cleverly designed. It is very well thought out if you take it apart. I wasn't sure the oil filter method hanging off a bracket was going to work too well on a turbo motor with both push and pulling of vapors/oil through the filter medium.

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

It works,got one for Xmas(present from me to the GN:D )opened it today it's got oil and a little milk shake(assuming that's because it's cold ).I like it!!

On the BBC motor I did I had an electric vacuum pump sucking through the filter. And had clear hose from the filter to the pump so I could see any residue. The FL1 filter held all the contaminants and didnt allow it to get to the pump. I didnt run through the motor so I too could keep my intake clean.

I have to agree, for the money, this setup looks to be really trick. It takes a lot of effort to make these and is a really nice solution.

I'll be buying one soon.

I have a check valve just after the can before the TB. Search the "other" board there is a member there that has pics installed!!

I run a check valve too, but mounted my can on the other side, beside the heater core, hanging by a couple of insulated clamps. The hose routiing seemed simpler, and shorter that way for my setup.

I also thought about doing it on the other side beside the powermaster, but I already have a translator box, and relays for the double pumper setup there, along with the alarm, etc...

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD