Paul zazarine - rip

Dennis Kirban

Just got word today Monday Jan 3rd 2011 from a good friend of ours Jim Wangers that Paul Zazarine had passed away this am.

Best known in the Pontiac world, specifically GTOs as an author of several highly regarded books on Pontiacs/GTOs and past editor of Muscle Car Review magazine.

He also free lanced many automotive articles. We became friends way back around 1980 when he was living originally in Maryland and restoring a 1966 GTO. You could tell back then in his writing style that he was bound for major magazine future.

His main book he co-authored with another good friend of ours Chuck Roberts (hist first book) was entitled Pontiac GTO Restoration Guide and runs over 500 pages. It was that book that was the inspiration for me writing my first book Kirbans Guide to 1986-1987 Turbo Regals. I feel honored to have been mentioned
in their book they did concerning date coded spark plug wires. (We reproduced them for GTOs at one time).

As editor of Muscle Car Review he personally attended our first GTO Heaven event held at our old house. This was back in June of 1988 which had over 250 GTO and Turbo Buick people attend. At that event most of them were GTOs. Several cars he did feature articles on besides doing an article on our GTO Heaven event. We even had Bill Campbell at this event the co-founder of Hurst. I think we had around 7 GTOs that had Hurst wheels on them.

Many of you may recognize his name as he later went on to do several articles on the Turbo Regals including some of the very first ones showing the new GNX back in the April 1987 issue of Muscle Car Review. Prior to that, another article he did on earlier Turbo Regals was one of the first in print that used the Bad to the Bone signage.....that has stuck on these cars.

He gave our company some great "ink" over the years....with various products like the Mustang fuel pressure regulators, and new C5 Corvette 6-speed shifters.

Our paths would cross at National Pontiac and GTO events over the years....usually him and I were speakers at these events. I consider myself fortunate to have known him and have several of the books he wrote signed by him.

We will be doing more on Paul in our weekly Turbo Inner Circle next week.

The muscle car automotive journalism club just got alittle smaller.......

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I am sure if you click on any of the various Pontiac/GTO forums you will see more about Paul.

RIP Paul, wasn't he featured on one of the videos on our cars years ago???

Yes he was...he was on the "American Muscle" series with the GN/GNX segment.

I thought his name sounded familiar so I went back and checked the video to make sure.

RIP:(

Paul was associated with all kinds of American muscle cars because of his work for various car magazines. His first love was with GTOs back when we started originally.

Hard to believe he is gone....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Sad to hear about Paul's passing. I was a long-time subscriber to Muscle Car Review and always enjoyed his articles. He was a big promoter of the GN when it first came out and even later on Speed TV Buick segments. His knowledge about all muscle cars will be greatly missed.