Passing inspection in ct.

Darkie

Hi I recently bought an 87 GN. I was told its all original and seems to run great.
I got it from a member here last October.
This is my first turbo car and im new to CT so im not sure of the laws.
My car came to me with a gutted CAT and no mufflers, just pipes coming out the factory locations.
I went ahead and ordered a Cat from G-Body parts, I didnt notice there were no mufflers till today.:eek:
Am I correct in thinking that there is no way im going to pass with this setup.
Am I required to have mufflers, and if so is the gutted cat and pipes going to run better than with an exhaust and Hi-flo Cat.
I really love the sound the way it is now.
What exhaust should I go with.
Should I just go cheap and then return to no cat and pipes only after I pass, or get a good exhaust and leave it on there with the cat.
Im confused.:confused:
Any insight will be much appreciated.
Thanks Rich
I have till may 5 to get this done. my temp plates run out then.

Talking just about emissions, right?? They just look for a cat, that's all. No visual inspection under the hood at all. Main thing they care about is what comes out of the tailpipes. MIGHT have a hard time passing with a gutted cat but worth a shot.

Where in CT are you? Might want to have Otto check it out for you. Might be able to tell you if it will pass or not. Home Page He is right in Milford off of 95.

I called and left a message for him just before writing this
Then I contacted you about that polished 3in
Thanks for the advice and quick response
Rich

Forgot to ask
What happens if I don't get this done by the date the DMV gave me on my temp plate.
Thanks

You are limited to 2 temp plates and thats it. If your close to the date just go and get it tested without the cat. You dont need to pass emissions. Only get the car tested to get a registration. If you want to pass i have a factory cat, downpipe, and elbow. You can use it for free but i need it back within 1 day of use. I can give you a couple tips on passing emissions. The last 13 times ive had TR's tested i passed on the first try. All had cat converters.

You are limited to 2 temp plates and thats it. If your close to the date just go and get it tested without the cat. You dont need to pass emissions. Only get the car tested to get a registration. If you want to pass i have a factory cat, downpipe, and elbow. You can use it for free but i need it back within 1 day of use. I can give you a couple tips on passing emissions. The last 13 times ive had TR's tested i passed on the first try. All had cat converters.
Bison thanks.
I will go get it inspected tomorrow.
Will the DMV give me plates even if I have failed?
Thanks for the offer of the cat and down pipe. If I need to pass I might pm you about that.
I've been collecting a bunch of bolt on parts and am going to check out ottos performance tomorrow to seek some advice for more upgrades.
I notice your sig shows ottos; are you affiliated with him?

This site is the best.
You guys are great.

Rich

They only look for a cat. and any huge leaks.

If your system is somewhat sealed they will test it.

You get plates even if you fail, my father just failed and it was only his gas cap but he got his plates and went back with the new cap for his free retest.

I'd put a cat. on there first and then go test it.

Get the TT emissions chip for whatever injectors are on the car.

Try passing with a cat. first so you have a baseline if it fails as to what the car needs, a test with no cat. won't tell you all that much.

Check your EGR operation as well before you go, they stick sometimes.

Never failed yet here in CT with 2 cars and about 30 tests. :eek:

Only got 2 more to go though. :cool:

Failed

Now I can get my plates.
Life is Good.
The guy who did the inspection will put on my cat next week.
Hopefully ill pass.
He said it was so close. I shouldnt have a problem passing with the cat.
Thanks All
Rich