Passenger valve cover oil breather?

darkred87T

Hi, a while ago I replaced my stock oil breather (the one on the end of the passenger side valve cover) with a K&N style breather. It never really cleared the turbo bracket properly and it just fell off and melted against my header. I went on to Kirbans, Cottons, and Gbodyparts and couldn't find it. Does anyone know where I can get this breather? If not where I can get the stock one again?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

Oh and to make it fit better I took a tubing cutter and took off about 3/8" off the tube that slides in and fits perfect

Hi, a while ago I replaced my stock oil breather (the one on the end of the passenger side valve cover) with a K&N style breather. It never really cleared the turbo bracket properly and it just fell off and melted against my header. I went on to Kirbans, Cottons, and Gbodyparts and couldn't find it. Does anyone know where I can get this breather? If not where I can get the stock one again?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

I think I have another one around here somewhere taking up space.

Breathers

While we're on the subject, I'm using two drivers side valve covers and need breathers for them. I've seen some that just slip into the hole, but they didn't fit well. I don 't need a show quality polished deal, but I do want something that will hold fast. Any suggestions/links?

Passenger's Side

The K&N filter that folks sell for our TRs fits poorly. The neck is too long. I suggest using a factory filter, P/N 557240. It's about $10, as I recall. Of course, it fits and functions perfectly. So far as appearance goes, you can hardly see it, tucked in between the valve cover and turbo as it is.

Driver's Side

I like the billet one MM used to sell. However, it fits loosely in the valve cover, especially as it ages, and you may find it laying on the valve cover one day. That can be taken care of for all time by installing a thin fibre washer of the proper thickness, OD and ID, between the neck and supplied washer. Your friendly hardware store with a decent selection of said washers should be able to hook you up - they did me.

no such thing........

Hi, a while ago I replaced my stock oil breather (the one on the end of the passenger side valve cover) with a K&N style breather................. If not where I can get the stock one again?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

On the '86-7 turbo Buicks, there never was a pass side valve cover breather.:)

Sorry for being off-topic, but the factory pipe from the pass VC to the turbo inlet provides a relief for crankcase pressure since it goes into a low pressure area. The driver's side oil fill is not really a vent, but more of an orifice.

This allows air to be drawn into the engine and "evacuated" through the pass vent pipe. Boosted engines build much more crankcase pressure than NA engines, and this pressure is more than the PCV can handle, hence, the factory provided a simple "evac" system.:cool:

In 1987, I could not wait to remove the pipe and install a chrome breather vent on my new Buick!:D

After years of messing with LOTS of other T/R's, both street and strip, it was obvious we were doing something wrong.:confused: With increased boost and RPM, oil leaks proliferated and oil was blowing out the vents like crazy.

The final fix was street cars went back to the pipe, and race cars were fitted with a crankcase evac system. The street cars leaked less as did the race cars, but the race cars also had the additional benefit of a noticable performance increase.

no such thing........

The final fix was street cars went back to the pipe, and race cars were fitted with a crankcase evac system. The street cars leaked less as did the race cars, but the race cars also had the additional benefit of a noticable performance increase.

I know this is an old thread but are you still leaving the pipe on for your current builds?
I have the stock setup and almost everything I hear and read is that I should toss it.

I know this is an old thread but are you still leaving the pipe on for your current builds?
I have the stock setup and almost everything I hear and read is that I should toss it.

Not sure what and where are reading that info, but the laws of physics have not changed over the past 6 years, a gas will still pass from a high pressure area [crankcase vapors] to a low pressure area [turbo inlet suction]?

Last edited:
Wow, lots of responses and fast.
Thanks guys.

Hey, these are terrific guys here and always willing to help......TurboBuick.com is the gold standard in the Internet world......

Everyone here is knowledgeable and likeable (except me:cautious:). I've been helped by these guys so many times in the past that I just can't remember how many.

Never hesitate to come here for help. You'll be glad you did. These guys never fail you, they only want to make you happy in solving your problems with these finicky cars.

Nick is a true gentleman and an expert on these cars, I kid you not! One of the best, I'm glad he's here posting still. The guy's brain is a TurboBuick computer and on all of the time! I truly believe he never sleeps, just wrenches 24/7! And solves mechanical problems like a Doctor of Engineering! Among the best, I can tell you. Never be afraid to go to Nick. He'll take care of you, like the others, too.

If you want to make him laugh, just drop a harmonic balancer through your shop sink......works real well......as I learned.:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Last edited: