Passenger side kick panel removal

Tom Kelly

I feel like a total spaz but here goes. I need to see my turbotweak chip to make sure it matches my car. The chip came with the car which had a lot of engine mods. Anyway I have read how to get at it but I can't seem to figure out how to remove the panel (I'm not kidding) I popped the little clip at the bottom but no matter how I try to remove it, it won't budge. There is a phillips screw on the piece above it to which the lamp is attached. Does that have to come out? One post mentioned a bolt. If there is a bolt where is it. Feel so stupid but I hate forcing plastic parts unless I am sure nothing is holding it in.

there is also a tab/clip right at the front bottom of the cover you kinda of have to push in and squeeze towards fire wall and should pop right out the carpet is usually the only thing really holding it in there , and there is a top cover on it that may or may not have a pin or screw holding it on
I just had mine out the other day should have taken a pick , hopefully someone else will post a pick, but if you got the little grey push pin at bottom out with out breaking it you are doing better than most !!

there is also a tab/clip right at the front bottom of the cover you kinda of have to push in and squeeze towards fire wall and should pop right out the carpet is usually the only thing really holding it in there , and there is a top cover on it that may or may not have a pin or screw holding it on
I just had mine out the other day should have taken a pick , hopefully someone else will post a pick, but if you got the little grey push pin at bottom out with out breaking it you are doing better than most !!
Thanks for the tip. I will tackle it tomorrow, The clip you are referring to; It sounds like it is below the push pin between the panel and the carpet? There is a screw holding the top cover in. If you loosen it the light comes out.

the clip is at the front straight across from the little push pin on th front sounds like someone moved your light it should be in the center under your glove box screwed into the black cowl piece

im betting yours has never been taken off because once it has they come off pretty easy and never quit go back on that tight
good luck

im betting yours has never been taken off because once it has they come off pretty easy and never quit go back on that tight
good luck
Actually it has been off. At least once to install the turbotweak chip (before my time) and another time when the dyno tuner took a look. Since then the car was completely disassembled (frame off) to repair frame and clean out rust and then painted. Perhaps in the re-assembly everything was put back to like new. I am sure I will get it out somehow. thanks

Actually it has been off. At least once to install the turbotweak chip (before my time) and another time when the dyno tuner took a look. Since then the car was completely disassembled (frame off) to repair frame and clean out rust and then painted. Perhaps in the re-assembly everything was put back to like new. I am sure I will get it out somehow. thanks
Got it our this morning but it wasn't how I thought it would be. I expected the kick panel to come out leaving the ecm box behind. however the kick panel came out with the ecm inside it with no apparent way to take it out. I'm baffled because I remember when I was at the tuner's shop, he seemed to get it out and remove the chip for examination in just a minute or so. I'm not sure why it seems so hard.

Got it our this morning but it wasn't how I thought it would be. I expected the kick panel to come out leaving the ecm box behind. however the kick panel came out with the ecm inside it with no apparent way to take it out. I'm baffled because I remember when I was at the tuner's shop, he seemed to get it out and remove the chip for examination in just a minute or so. I'm not sure why it seems so hard.

The ECM just slides out of the panel. There is a small panel in the back a little bigger than a chip. Be careful removing the chip. Unplug the orange connector at the battery before removing the chip. Also, if you have the chip tuned to your combo or if you tweaked it, then the tune will be lost once you disconnect the orange connector at the battery. Unless you have a tune saver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ECM just slides out of the panel. There is a small panel in the back a little bigger than a chip. Be careful removing the chip. Unplug the orange connector at the battery before removing the chip. Also, if you have the chip tuned to your combo or if you tweaked it, then the tune will be lost once you disconnect the orange connector at the battery. Unless you have a tune saver.

Thank you Charlie Gaudet and Grass Doctor. Finally success. I just needed outside assurances that I wasn't going to break anything. I got it all apart and got to take a picture of the chip and it indeed matches up with my current configuration. Eric coded it at 1. Using Alcohol 2. Under 25 psi of boost 3. 60lb injectors and 4. timing of 23/21. All this sounds right. I will let Eric know that I am the new owner of chip # 12277. Thanks again guys. I love that everyone is willing to help everyone no matter how experienced or inexperienced they are.

Thank you Charlie Gaudet and Grass Doctor. Finally success. I just needed outside assurances that I wasn't going to break anything. I got it all apart and got to take a picture of the chip and it indeed matches up with my current configuration. Eric coded it at 1. Using Alcohol 2. Under 25 psi of boost 3. 60lb injectors and 4. timing of 23/21. All this sounds right. I will let Eric know that I am the new owner of chip # 12277. Thanks again guys. I love that everyone is willing to help everyone no matter how experienced or inexperienced they are.

No question is dumb if you’ve never done it before. Glad to help brother. Good luck with everything.

no problem good job , like Charlie said be careful really careful taking the chip out a very small screwdriver to lightly pry it up evenly on each side make sure evenly so you do not bend the tiny prongs on the chip , they make chip removal tools that grab it so it pulls straight out that is how you have to think about it and don't forget the orange wire going to battery :sneaky:

no problem good job , like Charlie said be careful really careful taking the chip out a very small screwdriver to lightly pry it up evenly on each side make sure evenly so you do not bend the tiny prongs on the chip , they make chip removal tools that grab it so it pulls straight out that is how you have to think about it and don't forget the orange wire going to battery :sneaky:
Yeah. I was extra careful removing it. I did exactly what you said. I lifted it a bit on each side with a small screwdriver so as not to bend anything. I did remember to disconnect the ecu power and I noticed that you can't put the chip back wrong as the number of slots on one side of the case is different than the other side. And I got the kick panel back exactly like it was with the push pin intact. Why do I feel like I just rebuilt a motor? LOL

Yeah. I was extra careful removing it. I did exactly what you said. I lifted it a bit on each side with a small screwdriver so as not to bend anything. I did remember to disconnect the ecu power and I noticed that you can't put the chip back wrong as the number of slots on one side of the case is different than the other side. And I got the kick panel back exactly like it was with the push pin intact. Why do I feel like I just rebuilt a motor? LOL

Small victories brother. We all gotta start somewhere. Hope it’s running better