Park Lockout Question

strikeeagle

A friend broke his OEM shift handle and in the course of installing an aftermarket handle I note that without any handle, key on, there is no park lockout - I can move the shift lever to any position. I played around with the white button, which I see is internally threaded and threads onto an externally threaded steel rod inside the shift lever. Is there an adjustment or is something messed up.

Thanks for your thoughts.

strike

Is the rod that's attached to the steering column and runs down the firewall to the trans hooked up?...if not I can see that happening...if you have the trans out of the car you can move the shift lever through all the gears...the aftermarket shifter should have some type of PARK lockout...you would have to push a button or pull on a lever to get it out of PARK...that's how my B&M Megashifter is...but I also have the stock column rod hooked up...

yeah I have a B&M in my Monte and I have to lift the little lever to get it in and out of park, if your linkage isnt adjusted right at the trans it will pop out a Park so be careful cause your car could just roll away, make sure you spend the extra time under the car making sure its perfect, I had my buddy in my car shifting throught the gears while I was under the car to make sure it was perfect

I'm talking about the OEM floor console shifter?

The rod slipped out of the notch in the base of the lever assembly.

Thanks, Bruce...

strike

A friend broke his OEM shift handle and in the course of installing an aftermarket handle I note that without any handle, key on, there is no park lockout - I can move the shift lever to any position. I played around with the white button, which I see is internally threaded and threads onto an externally threaded steel rod inside the shift lever. Is there an adjustment or is something messed up.

Thanks for your thoughts.

strike

The white button in the factory shifter lever is adjustable. You will need to adjust it up and install the aftermarket shifter handle, do this by spinning it. You may have to remove and adjust it a few times to get it properly working. A properly installed aftermarket shifter handle will retain the PARK and REVERSE lockout of the factory setup.

The white button in the factory shifter lever is adjustable. You will need to adjust it up and install the aftermarket shifter handle, do this by spinning it. You may have to remove and adjust it a few times to get it properly working. A properly installed aftermarket shifter handle will retain the PARK and REVERSE lockout of the factory setup.

Yes, it will. But if you follow the instructions that came with the aftermarket handle to the letter it's possible you'll run into the same problem I had - if the extension is "too long" (i.e. turned ccw from stock) the rod will slip out of the notch in the base of the lever assembly and hang up. The problem only becomes apparent when you remove the console and can view the results of your adjustments. I'm not happy that I wasted 2 days, however many e-mails, phone calls and visits to the Parts and Illustration Catalog and Chassis Service Manual, but I'll leave it at that...

strike

The shifter handle that I am using is from TR Custom Parts 84-87 Turbo Regals, 94-6 Impala SS, 93-up F Body Cars, Olds G-Body Cars, Late Model Corvettes, S-10 Blazers. At first, I had some issues also. To keep the adjustment of the lockout shaft to a minimum, I noted the amount of travel needed within the shifter handle. With the handle loosely fitted, I made sure that the REVERSE and PARK lockouts worked. Then marked the location of the shifter handle on the shifter rod with a piece of tape for reference to align it at the proper location while tightening the set screws.

Things did not fall into place for me either, but I'm very pleased with the addition of the billet shifter handle.

The shifter handle that I am using is from TR Custom Parts 84-87 Turbo Regals, 94-6 Impala SS, 93-up F Body Cars, Olds G-Body Cars, Late Model Corvettes, S-10 Blazers. At first, I had some issues also. To keep the adjustment of the lockout shaft to a minimum, I noted the amount of travel needed within the shifter handle. With the handle loosely fitted, I made sure that the REVERSE and PARK lockouts worked. Then marked the location of the shifter handle on the shifter rod with a piece of tape for reference to align it at the proper location while tightening the set screws.

Things did not fall into place for me either, but I'm very pleased with the addition of the billet shifter handle.

The particular handle you cite has more problems than I care to go into. If you remove the console and take that handle through any pair of adjustments you care to choose you will see that at best it barely functions. The shims, slide and screws have their own issues. I'll leave it at that.

strike