Park Ave. Ultra

L

landiu

I just purchased a 97 Park Ave. Ultra and I'm looking for some suggestions to boost HP. I'm under the impression that it should be running about 240HP. I'm looking for at least 10-20% increase. Any suggestions?

Pulley.....KN.....tranny cooler to keep it all together. These should give you 30-35 hp range with good gas. simple and cheap (less than $150).

What size pulley is recommended? I don't want to go overboard and cause potential problems.

As far as the K&N, is there a particular model # that would be recommended?

Why the tranny cooler? Do they tend to run hotter? I've read some things about intercooler for the supercharger, is that a large undertaking? I am moderately skilled in auto repair but want to make sure I don't get in over my head. Again, Thanks in advance.

you could go with a 3.4" pulley, or if you plan on playing withit alot you can get a Dial_UR_Boost, whichincludes a hub and optional pullies to switch out.

9" Cone K&N filter would be your best bet. it's cheap and it's wha most everyone goes with.

a tranny cooler will help hold up the tranny when you put the pulley on ther and begin making more torque. the B&M 19,000GVW one from Summit for like $40 is feasible.

every part i just named are your best bet for going fast on a budget, and a fraction of the mods i have on my 13 second grand prix GTP.

Thank you very much guys. I found info on the different pulleys. What I want to know is if I use a 3.25" or 3.1" it says to take measures to reduce/retard knock. Other than high octane fuel ( I assume 93), what else would be required?

Unless you are planning on doing a water/alcohol injection then you don't want any smaller than the 3.4" pulley, as said before. I have this pulley and run 93-94 octane and still get detonatioin at times. I know i need to cool the charge dowm more even with my 3.4". Just change those to start with and see what you think it drives like now.

Oh...and the intercooler is a water to air heat exchanger that they machine the top of your intake manifold and sandwich betwen the blower and manifold. It is great for cooling the ari charge,,,,,but you won't need this unless you get really serious into the mods. And this costs around the $2500 range once you have all the necessary equipment.

GTP-1
Is anybody running alky/water on these things yet?

I've been thinking of trying it along with hacking the computer and bumping the spark timing up a little. I put a lot of miles on my Park Ave, so I don't really want to use a smaller pulley.

I'm still looking for a solid way to reprogram the ECM myself, haven't found anything good. Lotsa stuff for LS1 guys, but as usual we get overlooked.

I am in the proces of setting mine up actually. It is nearing the winter season real soon around here, as you are well aware, and i think it will be next spring before i get this done now. I am actually making an aluminum injector plate that will sandwich between the blower and intake on mine. I have seen the plates that go right after the MASS/Throttle body but i don't care for the idea of gas/alcohol/water/etc. being sprayed onto the rotor blades in these things. I say OEM designed them for air, so i am sticking with air only. This plate i am doing will require a little more "finess" to achieve an even spray distribution though. I look to retain the stock computer settings at first to see the actual benefits for comparison purposes. I do have the smaller pulley (3.4") and am flowing more air that GM intended the engine to see. I hope to see that this mist i add will just balance the air/fuel ratio back to the preffered range, for i do see very noticeable knock right now.

I agree, I worry about the alky falling out of atomization after going throught the SC, then having it drown out the spark. I like your Idea though, I'd like to see it when you get it done. What about simply tapping into the lower intake and making a multiport alky system (if you can jet it down low enough), I don't know if going to 6 nozzles would be easier than building your inkector plate or not.

I'll probably just spray it through the SC and see what I get out of it. (I need to hack my ECM first though). I haven't heard any of the nitrous guys having problems yet, Tom Wright is doing ok with his WET nitrous setup. I would think some nearly evaporated alcohol, would be easier on the SC bearings and such than wouls Gasoline and NO2.

I like your plan though, it's just more work than I want to do ;) . I've got my GN to keep me in the garage.

Originally posted by GTP-1
I do have the smaller pulley (3.4") and am flowing more air that GM intended the engine to see. I hope to see that this mist i add will just balance the air/fuel ratio back to the preffered range, for i do see very noticeable knock right now.

What about using an aftermarket Octane boost? Has anyone had any luck using that to eliminate knock/detonation? I have about 81K on the Ultra, Should I be conserned with the miles using a 3.4 pulley?

Yikes,

If you have a Park Avenue Ultra you're looking at even more loads on the frail tranny than the lighter GTP. As for a smaller pulley go only with the mildest one. Any smaller and you're going to have to use octane boost The best is Super 104+, there are no substitutes and you will not detonate. Yes $5/bottle per tankful may seem a lot but actually its comparatively headache-free compared to custom IC or alcohol/water injection; plus you don't have to feel guilty hacking up a nice Pk. Avenue. Always have a few bottles handy. The price of octane boosted fuel amounts to only a quarter or two more per gallon, still dirt cheap compared to gas in europe. Recalibrate your mass air when you run very small pulleys. This plus requisite intake and exhaust mods will make you car fly no lie low-14s on that boat I'm sure with good traction. But start lookng for a spare tranny quickly. In fact driving the stock pk. avenue aggressively I think would hurt the trans quickly but i guess GM is counting on the Pk. Avenue having the lowest incidence of failures given the typical park avenue customer.

Best of luck and enjoy your sweet/sleeper ride.

Thanks, I made the purchase for that very reason, nice car with a "little" surprise for the the youngin's in their ratted out Z-24's. I have a few funny kill stories too, but I will share later in another forum.

Tranny is definitely a consern for me, at $1,500 a pop, don't want to lose it anytime soon.

Wasn't sure on the Octane boost, whether ot not it was OK for the SC3800. I've read a few others mixing in alky w/fuel at about the same cost as Super 104+.

I'd Like to be able to at least run with the new Rustang GT's, nothin worse than "grampa" keepin up w/you on the freeway! ;)