Painting grille and bezels

I need to paint some new windshield trim. Should I use the same stuff?

I need to paint some new windshield trim. Should I use the same stuff?

Either of these products mentioned will do those equally well. Just be sure to get satin black, sometimes labelled as semi-flat black, depending on the brand. If you prefer totally flat black, that will work also.

So all the peices I wnna paint like bezels grille tail lights all get painted with the same color? Sem 39143?

If you're looking for interior dye get the stuff from Kirban. It matches better than anything else I've seen.

If you're looking for interior dye get the stuff from Kirban. It matches better than anything else I've seen.

If you want it to Really match, take a reference piece to your local auto body jobber and have them match you a pint.

They are right the grill, headlight bezels and severals other pieces are not suppose to be gloss black. Sem's trim paint works great..I have also found some semi-flat paints that work well too. They are not quite as expensive as Sem's as flat. I think this last time we used Durlast. You can get one of those handles to go on them that makes it a little easier to do make smoother sweeps. Make sure to LIGHTLY scuff them with a scotch brite pad (not a real coarse one) & then clean them really good with a degreaser to make sure no armor all is on them or you will be wasting your time. It will help if before you start go ahead and wash everything in warm soapy water really good with Dawn. ( it will also help in the degreasing). It's better to put on alittle at a time than to have to sand out runs at the end.

As far as your interior, we have done 4 cars all with grey interior and none of them have had the exact same color grey. All were 87 cars, I think it could be depending on whether or not they had sunroofs, T-tops, or how much sun they had, but the "presido grey" matched the least". Sems is the best line to go with or if you have a paint shop that can computerize match paint, they can actually computerize match it for you and put it a spray can. I would find a piece that had the least amount of sun exposure.

Hope this helps!

Thanx for all the help guys. I'm typing this inbetween my 2 and 3 coat. Looks awesome so far. Grille is making the biggest difference so far. The bad news is I tryed bringing my front marker lights up. The long yellow ones and now there's a white haze on them from the compound. Ne ideas on how to bring the shine back on them?

I have a question about painting techniques. I have painted many grills. I have a hard time getting an even coat on the grill. I have tried painting side to side......up and down.....on and off the car. Need some painting 101 tips.......or maybe I was using the wrong paint at the time. While painting my old grills.....I just used what ever semi gloss I had.

But what do u guys think about painting other stuff withxthis paint. Like the long plastic pieces on the front and rear bumpers and the black around the rear tail lights etc

I painted my bumper mouldings with some gloss black duplicolor paint. They look brand new. You have to do light dusting coats first then get a bit heavier. I wiped mine down with rubbing alcohol real good first.

Anyone know the SEM part number for Gray? Kirban and others don't ship spray paint via air. I live on a rock in the middle of the pacific.

They are right the grill, headlight bezels and severals other pieces are not suppose to be gloss black. Sem's trim paint works great..I have also found some semi-flat paints that work well too. They are not quite as expensive as Sem's as flat. I think this last time we used Durlast. You can get one of those handles to go on them that makes it a little easier to do make smoother sweeps. Make sure to LIGHTLY scuff them with a scotch brite pad (not a real coarse one) & then clean them really good with a degreaser to make sure no armor all is on them or you will be wasting your time. It will help if before you start go ahead and wash everything in warm soapy water really good with Dawn. ( it will also help in the degreasing). It's better to put on alittle at a time than to have to sand out runs at the end.

As far as your interior, we have done 4 cars all with grey interior and none of them have had the exact same color grey. All were 87 cars, I think it could be depending on whether or not they had sunroofs, T-tops, or how much sun they had, but the "presido grey" matched the least". Sems is the best line to go with or if you have a paint shop that can computerize match paint, they can actually computerize match it for you and put it a spray can. I would find a piece that had the least amount of sun exposure.

Hope this helps!

Good post, Jennifer. Very informative and helpful. :)

I would like to buy a new set of bezels if I cant fix the warp issue. I cant find the turn signals for the bezels. Mine look warn out. Still looking for the SEM part number for gray. Think I may have found a local body shop that has it....but would like a part number......unless there is only one type of gray.

x10 on the sem satin black. mine have been done for 12 yrs and they still look amazing. spend a little more and use good paint.