Painting frame - suspension..POR 15 or something else?

BuickMike

Money pit
I'm slooowly working on my '59 LeSabre and am cleaning the surfaces for the frame, fender wells. rear axle, suspension parts, etc. I read a ton of good things about POR 15, but it seems like it is not the easiest to apply. Apparently you need to use it as fast as you can or store it with no air in the container or it will go bad. It will stain permanently if you do not clean up immediately. Also seems like bare metal has to be etched with their prep.

Who has experience? I did my whole GN frame, underside, etc with Rustoleum of all things and it is still holding up great years later.

Rustoleum here. Have had the POR peel off, if the surface is not 100% etched, or isn't rusted.

Thanks Chuck. I'm sure it looks real nice, but seems like if the surface isn't 100% rusty, I would need to sand blast it and use the prep material in every nook and cranny. If I was going to that kind of trouble, I may as well have pulled the whole frame and had it blasted / powdercoated.

POR 15 is a rust inhibiter, its great to use on rusty surfaces but really not needed on non rust. Its difficult to apply,will not come off clothes or hands,costs a small fortune and dont buy more than you want to use because it doesn't have a long shelf life if not sealed properly, great product but difficult, would not use on good metal or slick surface as there are much easier products out there, as always just my opinion.

Clean it woth a wire wheel and use epoxy frame paint available from Summit. I used POR15 on my frame, and did everything correctly, and it is peeling. Rust oleum would have been better.

POR 15 is hit or miss
On some parts of my car you can't tell if it's a day or 6 years old. On other parts it looks like it's 30 years old.
Good luck

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm not going to use it. Heath Elmer turned me on to Krylon Industrial for rattle can stuff and it has been rock solid on all my trim pieces. I may just try on the frame and see where it gets me.

SEM Rustshield. It will last forever.

Actual por-15 is UV sensitive and must be top coated with their top coat. The topcoat can be used without Por-15. I did the underside of my GN 15 years ago and looks good.

Dont get POR-15 on your hands, it will take days to wear off!!!! I like Rustoleum. Easy to use and does a nice job.