Painting Chassis??

turbotony1

The car is a gray 87 T. It was undercoated from the factory. I'm in the process of scraping and sanding the chassis & underbody right now. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to paint over the areas with undercoating!

Is it possible for paint to bond if I were to scuff up the undercoating enough?

Is there a paint, or type of paint out there that will bond well to undercoating?

On another subject, what kind of chassis paint are you guys using?

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

The car is a gray 87 T. It was undercoated from the factory. I'm in the process of scraping and sanding the chassis & underbody right now. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to paint over the areas with undercoating!

Is it possible for paint to bond if I were to scuff up the undercoating enough?

Is there a paint, or type of paint out there that will bond well to undercoating?

On another subject, what kind of chassis paint are you guys using?

Thanks in advance,
Anthony

You have to scrape the undercoating off. A heat gun and some solvent helps

frame

strip frame and undercarriage clean

I used a/c stripper after I softed with laq thinner old rags and 4 ich brush almost wipes clean, takes time
the frame you soften then sand blast it clean
wash with soap and water clean with metal prep
apply two coats of acid etch primer then seal with catlized sealer/primer ppg dp90

then use 3m pad scuff and paint with your choice of color and paint

just an Ideal :cool:

You have to scrape the undercoating off. A heat gun and some solvent helps

Depending on the age of the rebuild the frame may be protected from corrosion by a thin (or thick) oil film

strip frame and undercarriage clean

I used a/c stripper after I softed with laq thinner old rags and 4 ich brush almost wipes clean, takes time
the frame you soften then sand blast it clean
wash with soap and water clean with metal prep
apply two coats of acid etch primer then seal with catlized sealer/primer ppg dp90

then use 3m pad scuff and paint with your choice of color and paint

just an Ideal :cool:

whats a/c stripper?

a/c stripper

correct aircraft stripper comes in spray and brush on gallons, works great in those hard to work on areas spray on let set lightly scrap wash off residue when I was stripping my trunk undercarrage and frame I used cheap laq thinner to soften undercoating almost wipes off (lot of rags) then spray lightly scrape then quick blasting Picture 031.jpg a before of trunk ,undercarrage was the same factory undercoating

IMGP0691.jpg
after trunk

IMGP0383.JPG
after undercarrage and frame dusty from sandblasting interior

IMGP0412.JPG
effect of a/c stripper one spay coat on my kids 70 roadrunner 1st day of work