paint bumper filler before install?

Ross L

or wait until it's installed. I had mine painted then tried to install it. Well,,,, paint is flaking from every mounting point and in several of the "creases" . Should I complete the install and see what shows(once the bumper is on), or take it back to who painted it. S%$t , I should have just payed the deductable. I'm up to almost $400 and I'm no better off than when I started.

I'm no authority on painting, but I had mine done and then installed them. As I said I'm not a painter, but bumpers and fillers require a special flexible paint or paint additive.

Sounds to me like he either used the wrong stuff or did a poor job in prepping the items either way I say take them back.

:cool:

paint man here!

as far as the bumper fillers go, you need a flex agent in the sealer and paint/clear. but the most important thing is surface preperation, especially on plastic. What you have with the flaking is a classic example of poor preperation. You can have them painted on or off the car, when I had my car done the body guy told me the best way is on the car, so then when your putting them on you dont get any marks on them or you are trying to flex them too much. You should have all the paint completely removed from your fillers and have them redone. Make sure the body shop is familiar with the proper way to do plastic parts like the bumper fillers other wise you'll have the same problem.........

I went ahead and installed it. None of the flaking shows once the bumper is on. Its mostly is on the edges. I will talk with the painter. He'll want to redo it , I'm sure. I can see where it would be hard to "prep the edges. I installed them when it was cold out, could that have been part of the problem.

even with the flaking only on the edges I would still have them redone, bescause over time the whole thing might start to flake if the edges are already. If he would have prepped it properly there should have been no flaking at all. being cold out shouldnt have affected it too much, cold does play a big part in the flexibility of plastics though. Good luck..

YOUR FAULT

I just painted some for a friend of mine and he ended up cracking the paint on one of them because he didn't take the bumpers off to install the fillers. I don't care if you use a flex agent or not, you can't twist them all up to install. Don't forget to pay the painter a second time if he repaints them because the fault is yours on the installation.

hey,,,,

I did take the bumper off. I only had to bend them a little to align all the bolt holes, nothing severe.:confused: Anyway, everything looks great all back together. I'll talk to the painter this week.

Sorry about that. I just had it happen to me (the painter) and I volunteered to paint the part over again. Then I realized he tried to install them with bumper in place. Thought you did the same but now re-reading your posts, I see that you did. :eek: