"P" vs "LT" tires for SUV & Trucks

tom h

My 94 K-Blazer SUV was coming due for tires, and after 11 yrs, the clearcoat on the OEM aluminum wheels was turning blotchy and yellow.

I picked up a new set of "take offs" from the dealer. These are brand new, factory OEM aluminum wheels & tires, that are "taken off" a new vehicle when the dealer installs an aftermarket wheel package or does an "off road" conversion.

The ones I got are #1 in the photo. A great deal, $500 for a set of 4 new wheels and tires!! Some dealers sell for as low as $400 a set.

Here's my dilemma. The new tires are Firestone OEM "P" series, whereas before I always bought "LT" (light truck) tires.

GM now only offers "P" tires for all Tahoes, 1/2-ton Suburbans and, and 1/2-ton trucks. The only vehicles coming with LT tires are the 3/4-ton SUVs and trucks.

The "P" series seem like wrinkle-wall slicks in comparison to the LT's. The truck is significantly softer riding (and quieter!) with "P" tires. Not a bad thing! When I park and let the tires roll against the concrete parking stop-block, I can see the "P" tires noticeably indent more than LT tires ever did.

The carmakers have adopted "P" tires to pander to all the women driving SUVs, with a cell phone in one hand, a half-caffe/no fat/extra foamy/double/frip-frappy latte in the other hand, and 3 screaming kids in the backseat.

My concern is increased risk of road hazard damage with P-tires, eg potholes and an occasional small obstacle at speed. With Michelin LT tires I *never* had any blowouts, bulges, tread separation, etc.

Am I being overly paranoid? Anyone have experiences with P vs LT durability for highway driving?

forgot the wheel pics.

Attachments

• wheels.jpg
    wheels.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 175
I just bought a set michelins and got the LT series with the load range E, which i think most of the LT tires are. The LT series allows better handling with loads and load capacity than the P series i believe. Never tried the P series however, i have always preferred the added benefits of the LT series, which have the extra steel belt. Unfortunately you LT series are more costly...If the truck never sees a load or goes offroad, i may consider the P series.......So not sure my two cents helped you at all...

N8

As mentioned, if you do alot of hauling/towing, you want to go with the LT's. They will hold up alot better and less chance of overheat/blowout.

However, for a daily driver that only sees occasional "truck" use (i.e. hauling, trailering, etc.) the "P's" will be just fine.

I have run "P's" on my Yukon for 5 years with no problem. In fact I am going today to get a new set to replace the current ones. I got 45k miles out of them (probably a bit more there but rather safe than sorry). This is on a 4x4 Yukon. I think 45k miles is pretty good for tires on such a big bulky 4wd vehicle.

HTH..

I've never done any towing (yet).

My hauling has been generally under 1000 lbs (2 passengers plus vacation or household stuff in the back).

Seems I should be fine with P-metric.

If I ever get to the point where I might want to trailer/tow the GN, then I'll consider upgrading to LT tires.

LTs are not that much more its worth the extra peace of mind IMO

if you look really hard you can get a set of brigestone v stars with wheels for about 250.00 in the paper. people take them off to get new bigger wheels and tires all the time. its a cheap easy way to get a nice set of tires that dont have a lot of wear or abuse.

The P merely stands for 'Passenger' LT for 'Light Truck'

LT tires have different load ranges. 1/2 ton trucks with LT tires will usually have C load ranges (seen these OEM on Z71 pickups and the such) Then there are 'D' rated tires which are a heavy tire for a 1/2 ton or a light tire for a 3/4 ton. E range tires are 3/4-1 ton issue. They have the heavest load capabilties, but ride like a lumber wagon.