P/S Pump Pulley Install

regal81455

Ive got a new P/S pump and an old pulley. I don't have one to reference so my questions are two fold.

1. I know I can buy a tool to install the pulley but is there a homemade method that works just as good and cheaper ( all thread, etc... ).

2. How do you know when the pulley is fully engaged on the shaft? Does it sit flush?

TIA
Josh

To remove the old pulley I rented the tool from autozone, $30.00. When I was done with it, they gave me my $30.00 back in full.;) The install tool comes in the kit. It's basically a long bolt with a nut with a washer, I didn't check the threads to make my own, sorry.

To reinstall it, my plan is to mount the pump and set the pulley on and put a few turns on the pulley install nut. Then put the belt on and tighten nut until alignment is right with the other pulleys. Not sure if that's the right way, but it's my way.:D

i don't know the correct thread size but all you really need is a grade 8 bolt that will screw into the pump and a few washers to go around the bolt. Main thing you really need is an impact gun to get the job done. mine is sitting flush against the pump I had a friend that did this for me when I replaced my pump no kit just bolt and washers.

Yeah - I just borrowed the install tool from our shop. Question?? So when you say "flush against the pump" are you saying he tightened down till the pulley was touching the bearing? I was thinking of flush at the top of the shaft and don't want to have our terms mixed or misunderstood.

I found a few pictures of mine before I removed the pulley. Hope this helps.:wink:

Attachments

• PS pulley.JPG
    PS pulley.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 49
  • PS pulley (1).JPG
    PS pulley (1).JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 49