P C V oil catch can

Jegs

I was thinking of getting this one here:

JEG'S Air Oil Separator - JEGS

The Jegs unit works fine you just unscrew the lil' plastic catch can and then tighten it back on no hoses to drain. It doesn't hold as much as those liter catch cans, but only takes a few seconds to dump.:eek: Actually the Jegs unit looks like an air /water seperator for a air compressor you can get one at Sears or Ace hardware for 20 bucks, also the boost adjustable regulators that sell for 50- 75 bucks with brass fittings/hose seen basically the same thing at Sears for 25 bucks with fittings and clamps. They have a heavy dutier spring but work the same.

Would this be a good way to plumb one of these? My pcv hole on my intake has been welded shut. MS Paint ftw;)
Where could you put a vacuum pump on this setup?
pcvsystem.jpg

Welded

The way mine is set up PCV inserted in original manifold grommet then the hose connects to catchcan then checkvalve then vacuum hose off vacumm block on TB that originated for the PCV in the 1st place. Think TTypewhite had a schematic on how to setup a elec vacuum pump and one the vendors sold a plug in harness for the setup with dif. plugs for the 3 different pumps that are available

Is the checkvalve mandatory or just a good sensible option that should be used?

Checkvalve will stop your PCV plumbing from working on the opposite direction.

Normally there's vacuum at the throttle body/plenum, pulling fumes from the PCV valve. On a turbo charged application you end up getting the opposite of vacuum, BOOST. You end up with pressurized air possibly traveling back down through the PCV valve and pressurizing your crackcase. Not good. The PCV valve is supposed to be a checkvalve in itself but when you're running a decent amount of boost its a good idea to have the extra check valve.

Checkvalve will stop your PCV plumbing from working on the opposite direction.

Normally there's vacuum at the throttle body/plenum, pulling fumes from the PCV valve. On a turbo charged application you end up getting the opposite of vacuum, BOOST. You end up with pressurized air possibly traveling back down through the PCV valve and pressurizing your crackcase. Not good. The PCV valve is supposed to be a checkvalve in itself but when you're running a decent amount of boost its a good idea to have the extra check valve.

What about using 2 PCV's instead of the checkvalve? Any benefit to that?

Would this be a good way to plumb one of these? My pcv hole on my intake has been welded shut. MS Paint ftw;)
Where could you put a vacuum pump on this setup?
pcvsystem.jpg

This might work better as the PCV will keep most of the oil out and the catch can keeps the rest of the oil from getting into the intake.

Attachments

• pcvsystem.jpg
    pcvsystem.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 4,434
Dug up pic of my DIY catchcan, I used propane tank, removed the schreder valve, drilled into it and tapped a 20cm 1/4 inch brake line down the middle and being a certifed JB Welder I welded a 3/8 barb adapter then a female on side of tank with an elbow (not pictured) and drain at bottom and used the inline pcv pictured for check, painted it up and mounted it behind radiator off to the side, pic came out too dark with phone cam... dug up receipts and grand total was 15 bucks

catchcan.jpg

Exactly

This might work better as the PCV will keep most of the oil out and the catch can keeps the rest of the oil from getting into the intake.

I wrote it down just like that but ut was too long, but exactly your pcv need to come off the VC cap-CC -CV-TB vacuum source. Just make sure you have CC in right position so engine still pulls vacuum.

Diy

Dug up pic of my DIY catchcan, I used propane tank, removed the schreder valve, drilled into it and tapped a 20cm 1/4 inch brake line down the middle and being a certifed JB Welder I welded a 3/8 barb adapter then a female on side of tank with an elbow (not pictured) and drain at bottom and used the inline pcv pictured for check, painted it up and mounted it behind radiator off to the side, pic came out too dark with phone cam... dug up receipts and grand total was 15 bucks

catchcan.jpg

Nice unit.

Thanks, i'll get finished and mounted pic up, i had the tank here at the house so cost of that was Zero and im sure most folks have a tank or two in garage but new there only $2.70, the drain was 3bucks, pcv was 4 somthin, I have that inline close to line off of throttlebody, barb adapters were like 2.50 each, 1/4 brake line was 2 bucks etc etc