P.b.i.r.

Phatman

Senior Irish Member
Well.....

I know the track has been open for a while, but until yesterday I hadn't been out to see it. All I can say is WOW!!! I know there is still quite a bit to finish up, but the track is like night and day in comparison. Like any other track we'll just have to wait and see if the powers that be can make it good for the racers. They seem to be headed in the right direction, I guess only time will tell...

I was invited out to the track yesterday to watch some test and tune runs by a few teams getting ready for the 09 season. You couldn't have asked for a better day, great weather and everyone seemed to be very happy with the new track as well as the Florida weather. I think we will be seeing more teams wintering here in the years to come.

I saw Alan Johnson crack a big smile after his Al-Anabi hot rod clicked off a sub 4sec 314mph run and he wasn't the only one running those kinda numbers, so you know the track is up to snuff.

It is a wonderful facility and it great to have basically in our back yards. You are right, time will tell and I know that they are trying hard to get people to come out there. I heard that they will be bringing a "No-Times" class soon and that will surely bring out some of the really fast street cars. Plus as I understand it, getting through tech in a class such as this should not really be an issue. Now we just have to get these cars running right.

The track itself is great, hooks lovely.

The pits are awful. At the Citrus Nationals, there was no room to pit, tech was disorganized, and the lanes don't move smoothly during test and tune.

They have a lot of work ahead of them........

Without a doubt they still have some work ahead of them, but in all fairness to the new owner's I think they are trying. I have a sneaking feeling that we may see more changes comming this year. Not that I have or had any hard feelings toward Sue Moroso, but it was PAST time for some new blood...

I understand that there is a deal pending with the IRL to add the new road course to the Indy Light schedule. It sure would be nice to see them strike a deal this year for the drag strip other than points racing, maybe ADRL... ;)

I had a blast last weekend out there.
Where else can you go on a Sunday afternoon and nose around the pits of proven teams like Schumacher and Kalitta as well as new teams like Al-Anabi Racing "Alan Johnson" who I know we'll see a lot of this comming race season.
Alan's new team brought five cars, one top fuel, one A/fuel, one funny car and two pro-mods. On Saturday His Highness Sheikh Khalid Bin Hamad Al Thani, Alan's new partner made his final license runs in A/fuel, I'm curious to see if he's in the seat this season.

* (1-20-2009) WEST PALM BEACH, FL – Rising drag racing star of the Arabian Gulf Region, KA Balooshi doesn’t seem to be concerned with what kind of car he’s driving so long as it has four-wheels and a clutch pedal he seems to find himself right at home behind the wheel. This weekend in West Palm Beach, though, it was Balooshi’s first opportunity at the controls of an A/Fuel Dragster.

As the sport of drag racing continues to grow in popularity throughout the Arabian Gulf Region, the demand for top-tier racing programs and the necessary driving and tuning talent is ever-increasing. Al Anabi Racing team driver KA Balooshi, who currently competes in the American Drag Racing League’s Pro Nitrous division, is being groomed to drive a Top Fuel Dragster as part of the Al Anabi/Qatar Racing team – so, when the opportunity to get his feet wet in the nitro ranks came about during the Alan Johnson/Al Anabi Racing private test session at Palm Beach International Raceway this past weekend, Balooshi couldn’t pass it up.

With an unparalleled amount of driving and mechanical expertise at his disposal, Balooshi was able to get up to speed as to the handling characteristics and technical aspects of the new A/Fuel Dragster platform quicker than could have ever been expected. The entire Alan Johnson Racing team was on hand to introduce Balooshi to the low-five-second, 270+mph category including NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car superstar drivers Larry Dixon and Del Worsham, along with Alan Johnson himself, Chad Head, veteran injected nitro tuner Tom Conway, and Kimelyn Buff Pesz.

Prior to strapping into the A/Fueler for the first time, Conway and Dixon spent some time with the up-and-coming driver to get him acclimated to the cockpit of the new car and quickly had him readied for his first 330-foot hit.

The first drop of the clutch resulted in a straight-and-true launch, providing the confidence and comfort for KA Balooshi to move onto an eighth-mile and then thousand-foot laps in preparation for his first full quarter-mile blast in the nitro methane burning dragster. On just his second effort in the A/Fueler, Balooshi posted a 3.70-second elapsed time to the 1/8th mile marker and an early shut-off 6.90 in the ¼ mile. Before embarking on his 1,000-foot run, AJR Team Manager Chad Head helped familiarize Balooshi with the new PBIR racing surface and continued to aid in the safety measures involved in the process of licensing a new driver.

Balooshi continued to show great poise as a driver with a strong 5.27-second 1,000-foot lap prior to recording a 5.40 at 260mph on his first full-pass in the A/Fuel car, quickly followed by a very impressive 5.34 at 269mph – which would be more than enough to qualify at any event.

Not wanting to shy away from his doorslammer roots, Balooshi also made a shakedown pass in the new ’68 Firebird that Rickie Smith was preparing for shipping to Doha, Qatar for the Qatar Race Club inaugural event on February 5th, 2009 – posting a stellar 6.07 in the quarter-mile, lifting at 5.31-seconds into the run.

“On behalf of Al Anabi/Qatar Racing, I would like to express my deepest gratitude to Alan Johnson, Chad Head and the entire AJR team for making me feel at home this weekend,” said Balooshi. “I was absolutely comfortable for the entire licensing process and it was entirely due to the team, including Larry Dixon, Del Worsham and Alan Johnson, who took the time to thoroughly explain the mechanical aspects of the A/Fuel Dragster to me and help me feel at ease inside the car. The progress I made this weekend as a driver is a testament to the first-class racing organization that Alan and Sheik Khalid have assembled for the next five years in drag racing. The entire AJR and Conway team showed the utmost professionalism and provided me with a lot of fun over the last four days. I must also especially thank Chad Head for handling all my needs this week as well.”

Prior to embarking on his long return flight home, Balooshi made one last note of his exciting weekend, “How many drivers have had Larry Dixon and Del Worsham sign off on their A/Fuel license?”

ADRL unveils increase in prize money for 2009

(1-21-2009) O' FALLON, MO – American Drag Racing League officials announced today a significant increase in prize money for the 2009 National Guard ADRL season which opens in Houston on March 6-7.

"My entire team has worked tirelessly during the off season to pursue additional partnerships to allow us to make a considerable increase to all of our professional purses," said ADRL President and CEO Kenny Nowling.

With total prize money soaring to over $1.25 million, National Guard ADRL competitors will see an increase in qualifying and round money at each national event.

The winner's share of the Speedtech "Battle for the Belts" at the season finale at the Texas Motorplex in October has more than doubled for each professional class. The winner and world champion will earn $50,000 in Pro Extreme, $50,000 in Pro Nitrous, $25,000 in Flowmaster Extreme 10.5 and $10,000 in Pro Extreme Motorcycle.

In addition to the increase in prize money, competitor's membership fees have been waived. In the past, this fee was $150 annually. As always, there will continue to be no entry fees charged to ADRL competitors at national events.

"While other series continue to charge their competitors large dollar amounts to participate, we feel strongly that our racers shouldn't have to pay us to compete in an ADRL event," said Nowling.

"As I've stated several times before, as long as I am the president of this organization, our racers will never have to pay to entertain our fans."

For additional details on the increased prize money, including a complete class-by-class purse breakdown, visit ADRL.us :: Home.

looks like they are having $$$ problems :confused:

Raceway owners didn't pay, liens state

hope they settle things. Good strips are getting hard to open because of the "noise" and of course my favorite from up here. "our town don't like those kind of people" They were trying to put a new track up here and the pisshole/slum town voted it down. Then the town cries because they need $$$ :rolleyes: OHHH WELLLLL.

sound isn't an issue...its out in the middle of nothing/everglades.
pratt and whitney has a huge plant with a private runway out there...don't think they'll complain about noise:D

hopefully they'll become profitable..its really a nice track

looks like they are having $$$ problems :confused:

Raceway owners didn't pay, liens state

hope they settle things. Good strips are getting hard to open because of the "noise" and of course my favorite from up here. "our town don't like those kind of people" They were trying to put a new track up here and the pisshole/slum town voted it down. Then the town cries because they need $$$ :rolleyes: OHHH WELLLLL.

It's hard to say what's going to happen in regard to payment. Owner's down here are seeing the chance to play hard ball with contractors. I don't agree with negotiating after the deals been made, I have personally been on the receiving end of it and it sucks. I am also friends with one of the new owner's and I'm unable to do business with him....;)
All I can say is that when you bid big work, you better be able to play with the big boys.

I think things will all come out in the wash.
What I find funny is that the Post Times runs this kind of story, but you have to look long and hard to find any positive articles. Even with all the testing that's been going on over the past couple of months, you would think you may see someone from the Post out there. One thing I have noticed is that the size of my paper is shrinking, somedays you would think they left a couple of sections out...:confused:

good news about the track doesn't sell papers :eek: so they dig for the bad!!:rolleyes: typical news story :redface: