overheating problems?

TURBOV6

"SECRET PARTS"
Staff member
On my 84.......

Well its not really overheating but noticed its running on the "HOT" side, while driving yesterday on a hot day it went up to 225 degrees! The hottest I seen so far a little over 210. I seems like the thermostat is stuck open the car does'nt seem to cool down. When I turn off the A/C the temp don't drop. The fan clutch seems to be working properly and coolant level seem good, I even flushed out the radiator. I removed the Kenne-bell chip and put the stocker back in and will have to see it its runs cooler.

Any tips in checking the water pump?

Whats the chances on the thermostat going bad?

225 is real hot, don't do that too many times or the head gaskets will get real pissed at you. when the car is up to temp grab the radiator hoses, if they are hot then the thermostat is doing it's thing. waterpumps usually start to leak through the weap holes which shows up as an external leak. are you loosing any antifreeze? is the level low, is there by chance oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil? thermostats are cheap and easy to replace and if it has a few miles on it a good idea in general. water pumps are the same way, I think the last one I got was about $20 and fairly easy to replace.

other thing to look at is of course the fan clutch and the radiator itself, how old is the radiator, what does it look like inside? to check the fan clutch warm it up and see of there is more resistance then when it is cool.

this is getting out in left field but how is the tranny, shifts fine doesn't slip? cause the tranny can put a lot of heast into the radiator if the tranny fluid is running real hot.

that is where I would start, what are the ambient temps? how hard are you driving it? any recent changes the the car?

Well the first thing I did was check the coolant leven and oil in the water but nothing. Radiator is quite new porbally a few years old with the water pump also. I checked the radiator hoses and hot. Also there is no leaks in the cooling system.

And as for the tranny it slips from first to 2nd but been allways like that, I check the tranny level its fine.

It also does not matter durring the day or night temps seems the same.

Well, I would think if the t stat was stuck open, the water would flow all the time (hot or cold), the warm up would take longer than normal and since the t stat is not resticting the flow enough, the temp would continue to rise. Can you see if the water is flowing when the car is cold? Also, how did you check your fan clutch? Is the factory shroud in place?

Hey Jackson,
Just so you know mine gets up to 200* if I drive from the base to my house on Kam. and I have no radiator and I run waterwetter as well... I've been thinking of getting another fan or at least seal the stock shroud against the radiator to help cooling. But I thought the only problem I may have would be running too cool with no thermostat, but I was wrong there.... :(

Derrick

Just to let you know this is my "HOT AIR"

I spoke to the wife today and said it did not go past 210 yet. I check the fan clutch if it was working while the car is warmed up I will bring up the rpm's and hear a change in fan speeds from high to low, and I still have the shroud. I know the water is flowing, when I drained out the coolant/water out of the radiator and replaced it with cool water then I started it up and the water temp droped down to 160-170 degrees.

Derrick

My GN runs around 180-200 with the A/C in traffic in a hot day. I replaced the thermostat, put some extended life antifreez and a bottle of water wetter. My GN stays cool now before it us to hit over 200 with the A/C on! I also bought a radiator pressurization kit from ATR that could be making my GN run cooler that before.

What temp t stat are you running? If your chip is programed for 160 degree, I would run that t stat. When you flushed the system, did you change the t stat. Also, when the engine is cold, you really shouldn't see much water flow (in the rad) b/c the t stat is closed