Overfilling Transmissiom

TryMeGT

Just wanting some opinions on over filling the transmission by one quart? Do many of you do it? I have a slightly built tanny in my 86 w/ a D5 converter. It grabs a nice sideways squeal in 2nd gear at half throttle, but at full throttle it doesn't. My assumption is that the tranny may be starved due to the fluid being at the back of the pan under harder acceleration. My concerns are the common understanding of the fluid foaming if it is overfilled. Also when I am coming out of a parking lot or sidestreet that is at a rise, it will do the same thing for part throttle. Again that supports the fluid being at the back of the pan. Just polling the people who know heck of lot more about my car than I do.:confused:

Over filling by a quart is an acceptable practice with no downsides. My transmission guy recommened it to me to avoid a situation like the one you explained. But, I don't know if you should listen to me since I'll be pulling my trans for a rebuild this week after smoking it saturday night.:mad:

Donald Wang, the So. Cal. transmission guru from DRW Transmissions in Santee, recommends overfilling by 1 quart. Good enough for me...

Just got a hi po trans. from Dynotech. Eric reccomends overfilling by a qt.

I overfilled mine with 1 qt. and now after a couple of passes at the track it starts to burp over. Maybe I added too much.

Put some silicone around the edge of the filter where the metal meets the plastic. Let it cure overnight in the house before you put it in the trans. Must be totally cured!!! You wouldn't believe how much it sucks around the edge of the filter where it is supposed to be sealed!

Can you just put the sealer on the filter and push it into place. Then let it dry overnight attached to the tranny with the pan off. I would think that would actually work better then letting it setup before installing the filter? Ideas?

NO!!!!!! Take the filter out of the box and bring it in the house. Then silicone the FILTER where the metal meets the plastic, around the whole thing.

Couple things:

My trans filter I get from DelTrans comes with o-rings on it. Maybe a better design.

Get a deep Art Carr pan and use a 700R4 bottom feed filter.

Originally posted by Russ Merritt
NO!!!!!! Take the filter out of the box and bring it in the house. Then silicone the FILTER where the metal meets the plastic, around the whole thing.
You are talking about the metal to plastic interface of the two halves composing the filter, correct? I think they are thinking about where the tube goes up into the trans which is what I also thought you was talking about:D What really happens there at the parting lines of the halves?

Yup, just the filter. Try it, duct tape the filter where the fluid is supposed to come in (screened opening) then (this will sound queer) suck on the tube, you won't beleive how much it leaks around the whole filter. NOW, silicone the edge, all the way around where the plastic and metal meet (seal the edge) LET IT CURE OVERNIGHT! THEN try to suck the tube with the tape on. See what I mean! :D

I almost hate to admit this but I am going to try this tonight with my 700 filter to see if it is any different. May explain part of the reason the 700 filter seems to work better besides being a bottom feed.

Full on, the leading edge of the filter would be exposed to air as all the fluid would head south so even if the pick up was under, the front of the filter is not, hence cavitation.

That's what I mean. Regardless of the seal, if the fluid is at the back of the pan during hard acceleration, the filter can't pick it up. Silicone on the seal is a good idea but I need the fluid under the pickup unit at all times

My experience with over filling the tranny by one quart is ...It burps it out going down the highway. Leaves a nice smokescreen.
:eek:

I tried the 700 filter last night with duct tape. If you ever heard the saying of suck until your head caves in that was me:eek: My 700 filter was totally leak-tight as vacuum was pulling the tape into the filter. Maybe it is just the 200 filter. I also prefer not to run overfull on the trans fluid.

I was told by my builder to over fill by a quart as well. No probles yet.
Alex

I wonder if this over filling trannys with fluid affects stock vs race prepped trannys with high volume pumps differently ? Anyone know ?