Overfilling a 200-4r

turbows6

I used to hear people say that on a quicker car with a stock transmission pan you could fill the transmission a little higher than the "full" line up to the zig-zag in the stock transmission dipstick. I have had my transmission this way for a few years.

Recently after making some improvements and the car sitting a lot and/or not going WOT, I've noticed that after running the car hard up into third gear that if I slow down to a stop, the car feels like it is staying in third gear even slowing down to 5-10 mph and taking off. Then after accelerating for a few seconds at light throttle, it will kick down into second like it should. It doesn't have this issue if you are driving it around normally.

Any ideas? FWIW the car is, I'm guessing, about a 10.0 car in the quarter. I'm wondering if it could be an issue related to the fluid level in the transmission, but I don't know. It is a "Good Era" Brian Hoffer transmission I've had for several years.

I used to hear people say that on a quicker car with a stock transmission pan you could fill the transmission a little higher than the "full" line up to the zig-zag in the stock transmission dipstick. I have had my transmission this way for a few years.

Recently after making some improvements and the car sitting a lot and/or not going WOT, I've noticed that after running the car hard up into third gear that if I slow down to a stop, the car feels like it is staying in third gear even slowing down to 5-10 mph and taking off. Then after accelerating for a few seconds at light throttle, it will kick down into second like it should. It doesn't have this issue if you are driving it around normally.

Any ideas? FWIW the car is, I'm guessing, about a 10.0 car in the quarter. I'm wondering if it could be an issue related to the fluid level in the transmission, but I don't know. It is a "Good Era" Brian Hoffer transmission I've had for several years.

The extra fluid is not causing your issue.

10.0 is pretty stout though for a 200. What turbo, motor, and boost level are you running?

Idk, the tcc locks and unlocks like clockwork with the manual lockup switch.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Combo is a billet 6765, ported stock heads, roller cam, 26# boost. Pump gas w/ alky control kit.

Usually the TCC starts acting up with heat. In my case, when cold it would work perfectly fine. Only after driving it a bit would it start acting up. I never had a manual lockup switch so I don't know how this factors in with your problem.

I think it may be an issue from sitting too much and something is gunked up a little, but that may be wishful thinking. The transmission temp gauge never goes over 175* or so. It has a big plate style cooler.

When the issue happens, you can tell the converter "mushy" and isn't locked up.

I'll see how things go.

You'd know if it was staying locked up. Usually vibrates the car real bad at low rpm's and it shifts hard too when the tcs fails. You may be due for a refresh. You're probably putting good power through that beast with that turbo and boost! Just like a good TR owner should (y)

Yeah, I know what it feels like when the converter is locked at low speed. That isn't the issue. The car shifts fine under power. It doesn't flare or slam gears. Fluid isn't brown, and the trans has never been over 190* even once.

Disconnect the tv cable end from the throttle linkage and give it several to many sharp pulls. Don't pull it out of the socket, but be diliberate about it as it could dislodge debris that could be inhibiting the tv valve from closing all the way. Then I would reattach and reset the tv bracket by pushing the button and taking it in and applying the throttle to ratchet it out to full tv pull/throttle.