Overboost?

• Thread starter Stephen Soulsby
  • Start date
S

Stephen Soulsby

After more than two months of not having my '84 T-Type running I finally got the motor and trans in and running. Here's my problem. I got a slightly used TA-33 with adjustable regulator. My big problem is I have no tach or boost guage. Off the line it hesitates erratically for a couple of seconds and then goes. The turbo spools quickly and the car takes off at half throttle. At full throttle it looses power erratically and I hear the turbo slowing down with the erratic power loss. I have an adjustable fuel regulator set to 42 psi. I also installed 30lb injectors. I intend to locate a boost guage tomorrow to help me out. How do I hook up a tach on this car? I've only installed tachs on conventional distributor cars before. What kind of boost readings should I be seeing?

All help appreciated greatly:)

Take a look under the coil pack/module...you should see a Green Connector..that is your Tach signal wire..I got a fitting that plugs right into the connector and ran my autometer tach signal wire to it....make sure you have a good connection..if not the tach needle will not be rock solid, and it will *LOOK* like its hitting the rev limiter at around 4000+ rpm!

I got a boost guage today and found I was making 17psi!!! I adjusted the wastgate and am now at about 10psi. I still have the stumbling on acceleration and the motor just bogs out at full throttle. Any ideas?:confused:

Stephen,It would help if you added all of the mods on the T in your signature,this way we could see what you have and make a recommendation.Otherwise, we are forced to ask what you do or don't have if we want to reply.This could take up alot of time and space so it will deter responses.

Better?

After more driving I found that I'm actually making about 13psi. I have the rod on the wastgate as long as it will go without the wastgate hanging open.

I had a similiar problem and it was the stock chip or possibly the ecm.I swapped out both and it was a new car.Keep us posted,did you do any tuning,tps,iac,camsensor etc? Double check these.

I adjusted the cam and crank sensor before I installed the motor. I do not have a voltmeter to adjust the TPS and therefore could not calibrate the IAC. I did replace the IAC because the old one was stuck. I'm out of money now and must try to rely on tuning and maybe looking for vacuum leaks.

Thanks for all the help!