Over boost and severe knock after 87 ECM upgrade

Turbod

Dry White Toast
I recently helped my dad replace his 84 ecm with an 86/87. At the same time we installed the translator and 3" MAF. We used a JL 92 octane chip. We installed a resistor instead of a MAT, the computer sees the MAT as 77 degrees (verified with direct scan).

After the install everything seems to run fine until the boost comes up. We have seen the car get up to around 12* of retrard. It begins retarding somewhere around 10 psi. Boost does not seem to be restricted or it goes too high. For now we put a restricter on the open/vacuum side of the wastegate solenoid to restrict the boost. Currently it goes to about 13 psi but, we are still getting a lot of retard. The numbers look good using direct scan, if anything a little rich. We set the static fuel pressure to 45psi hoping extra fuel would help, it improved slightly but things are still not right. O2's are around 820 - 840mv. Spark advance appears to bottom at 20 degress. Most BLM cells are around 118. We also tried the 86/87 comuter out of my car with the same results.

The turbo leaks a bit of oil on the compressor side, don't know if this would cause the knock. Dad is getting a TA33 to get rid of the oil leak problem and hopefully get more power.

Before the upgrades the boost would spike to around 14 psi then level to 11 or 12 psi. His car has done this since he bought it 14 years ago.

Is the chip programmed to produce a specific amount of boost? If so this chip may be too aggressive for dads car. Maybe the boost solenoid duty cycle is too high.

We are running 92 octane gas.

His cars combo:
84 T-type (hotair)
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Translator
3" MAF
86/87 ECM w/JL 92 chip
30lb injectors
rebuilt 87 engine

Oil coming out of the compressor isn't helping - get that fixed.

Try more octane or a different chip, like a thrasher 92 (only $25).

Also did you upgrade the ignition module and coil pack? - I know its not necessary but the stock stuff maybe bad. The new chip might be just a tad more aggressive than the previous - and the fault is just now surfacing.

Question - why would you use a resistor in place of the MAT? The ECM is capable of compensating fuel for different temps - thats a good thing, and the sensor is only $15 @ autozone.

I believe the MAT only makes very minor adjustments to the fueling. We put the resistor in so we could get the car running without having to find a place in the firewall to route the wires.

We did not upgrade the Coil pack or ignition module.

Who sells the thrasher chips for $25?

are you sure it's a 92 octane chip?do you have a different chip you can try?did you use his old calpak?

maybe try pulling a couple degrees of timing out with the translator and see if it helps...

We did put in the old Cal Pack.

Joe Lubrant put a sticker on the new chip that shows 92 octane 30lb (injectors). Dad didn't get the translator plus so we can't retard the timing. We don't have another chip to try, the one in my car is for 50lb injectors and an intercooler.

I am hoping the leaking turbo is the problem but, I have doubts.

does the timing ever go higher than 20º?i'm thinking you got a race chip by accident...

mix up some xylene home brew to get your octane up to 98-100 and see if your knock goes away.if it does,crank up the boost,enjoy your tank of high octane:D and order an 18 degree street chip.

later,sean

oil in intake = knock no way around it

fix the turbo and if your real bored while doing the turbo pull the intake and clean all the oil residue out of it