Outsider looking for some advice!

southtwnr

Hello all! I was referred over here from a guy on Protouring.net because he said you guys knew your stuff concerning water injection. And from searching the archives(part of them anyways) it looks like he was right.

Originally, one of my questions was if I could usean in-line electric fuel pump (Im still curious)but it looks as if shurflo may be the way to go.

I have a few extra questions.

First offI have a 1968 camaro that has a 383ci engine. I dont know my compression ratio(engine was in the car when I bought it), but I seem to have a detonation problem that I cannot "tune out" unless I use 100+ octane gas.

Due to this, I am wanting to try WI. If for no other reason just to get rid of the detonation. However, I am not willing to pay for a high dollar kit.

I was wanting some opinions on a set-up for my carbed, normally aspirated engine. I dont have any computer controls or anything.

I was thinking about using a carb spacer, drill it then tap it for whatever nozzle(what size?) I use. Or a NOS carb plate with a fogger bar?? Has anyone tried something like this?

I will keep reading through the archives (there's alot!) and see if I can find what Im looking for.

Thanks,
Jason

NA applications are done with a vacuum switch and RPM's. I think Spearco made a kit that worked something like that. You may want to do a search for Spearco and see what i'm talking about.

Nozzle will probably go in the carb air horn. I havent made an RPM setup yet.. there hasnt been a need/inquiries.

HTH

I do not see why you could not use an rpm activated switch and run the alchy/water off of that. I personally made my own kit using sme NOS parts, fan jet, jet seel line, a ford external fuel pump from a truck and a conainter I had alying around. I am sure you could do this and you may want to experiment with a 50/50 water alchy mix. This seems to run real good for me, non flammable and I use a 108 chip and 20 lbs of boost on an all stock car using 94 sunoco. Play with the alchy, you will be surprised with its' characteristics. I would try to spray as near the carb as possible through the air cleaner somehow.

I have a magazine called CHEVY ENGINE it is the 1977 annual
Here is what it says.
George spears, the key man at sperco perfomance products,has come up with a sophisticated water injection system that's ideal for high performance street machines. Dubbed Injectronic.....
This stuff has been around since 1977:eek:
it is great to go back through my old magazines

Originally posted by Pat Adkins
I have a magazine called CHEVY ENGINE it is the 1977 annual
Here is what it says.
George spears, the key man at sperco perfomance products,has come up with a sophisticated water injection system that's ideal for high performance street machines. Dubbed Injectronic.....
This stuff has been around since 1977:eek:
it is great to go back through my old magazines

It has been around alot longer than since 1977, it was being used in WWII. Actually it was in to mid 70's that it started getting popular in the automotive ranks due to lower octane pump gas and the introduction of unleaded gas. It never got as popular as it is now because it didn't have nearly the effect on an NA engine with high compression as it has on the turbo engines (cooling effect) and also the technology involved then versus now.

re:

Thanks for the replies!! So...is the general opinion that I should put the jets above the carb? I was thinking the carb plate might make for a cleaner looking system, but functionality is most important! Also, should I go with one or two jets(Suggest sizes)? I guess, most importantly...should this help my detonation problem(if in fact my problem is too high of a compression ratio)?
This is just a peppy street that I want to run as well as it does with the race gas.

Thanks,
Jason

Seems like a band-aid solution to a problem you haven't figured out. Why dont you check your timing and compression numbers? You don't have to CC the chambers and pistons to get an idea of what kind of CR you have.

Kinda hard to tune without good info,

Good luck.