Outside Storage

hrhoward

Go Team Venture!!!
Regrettably I need to store one of the T's outside. The one that needs a frame and a front clip. The power-train is completely out of the car, most of the interior trim is out, except for the dash board. The seats and carpet have also been removed. This one has t-tops with new seals in them.

I have never stored a car outside that I cared about and don't even know where to begin. I have every intention of putting this car back on the road in a year or two but can't right now.

Please, any help/advice is needed and will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Heath

Really good car cover, I had a soft one on over the paint and a waterproof rougher one I used only when it would rain over the soft cover. Park it on solid ground to keep the moisture from getting to the underside too much. Make sure to take the cover off and open the doors every once and awhile to let it breath. Check for water leaks over time. I also cut 1/4" plywood panels to cover the wheels and held them in place with a brick. Keeps dirt from getting all over them and it keeps the sun off the tires. Make sure to move it once and awhile to keep the tires/bearings from flat spotting.

Or the ultimate thing to do, get one of those car bubbles to put it in and then inflate it. I've seen them there really nice and they work great just pricey.

Oh, this storage project won't have any wheels. The rear end is out but I will have to finger-tight it back in to move it. Afterwards I will remove the rear end and store it inside. The front end is so badly damaged that spindles are of no concern. Basically everything in front of the firewall is toast. I just don't want the rest of the car to rot.

Figured I would do the two cover bit, fill a few pans with moth-balls and distribute the pans around, and air it out once in a while. I don't know the best way to keep ground moisture from doing it's thing underneath.

In case you don't like the smell of mothballs.....never could understand how people could get their little legs apart:redface: sorry i couldn't help my self.

As I was saying, if you don't like the mothball smell, try using natural spearmint oil. I hear mice really don't like that smell. I picked up some spearmint packets at the hardware store in the pest control isle and used them in my car this winter. I also had a few traps set...but never got one nor did I have a sprung traps either.:smile: The car always smelled good inside......if you don't mind spearmint!

Mouse Magic Natural Mouse Repellent - Greenfeet.com

People at campgrounds use the spearmint oil when they close up their trailers for the winter. Some also say fabric drier sheets work also, guess the mice don't like the smell of Bounce!:p

Good Luck!

You can buy a container of dehumidifier at Walmart. It's super cheap and comes in a container about the size of coolwhip. I cannot recall the name of it but we used to use it alot in cars in SWFL... If I remember the name of the product I'll post up.

Outside

Make sure there are no sprinklers underneath or around the car, this will rot the underside, floor boards etc. Get blue tarps they sell at walmart, and tarp the entire car, making sure you don't leave pockets for water to sit. You can tell after a good rain where you need to adjust.

If you have the room of the side of a structure, a couple of sheets of plywood hanging from the side and some 2x4 posts will do wonders, but
still tarp out the car.

You might also want to buy some Ospho, they sell it Home-Depots, its anti-rust agent you can spray or brush it on all the metal for protection.