Output Shaft Play

QWK GN

My output shaft has some play in it with the drive shaft in.I know this is not a ggod thing.My 86 has 100k on it ,so I'm not surprized that something wore out.I'd like to rebuild it ,but am short on funds.I'd like to replace the bushing the driveshaft rides on for now,while I save some money for a rebuild.How hard is this to do? What tools will I need?.Or should I have a shop do it for me

Thanks-John O:confused:

if you are not leaking out the rear seal dont bother changing the bushing.i say this because you must remove the trans .i know there is a tool out ther that allows replacement of this bushing while in the car but never seen it .has anyone else?www.ckperformance.com

I've used the tool Chris mentioned. It's like a hollow tailpipe expander with a long bolt through it. See it at www.express-tool.com. GM tool section, 200, 200-4r tools, Page 2, part#
ET-T-0160-A A liittle expensive at $132.75, but with it the
bushing can be removed with the tranny in the car. :)

I found that same tool at snapon's web site for $89.50.
So I know what I'll be doing next weekend. A friend of mine told me his car has the same problem,So I'm doing his car also for a few bucks.
Thanks for the help.
John O

I haven't used that tool for years, friday a GN shows up at my shop with a loose bushing. Didn't take fifteen minutes to replace it. I used the same tool to drive the new bushing back in, worked like a charm.

Lockport is about 12 miles from Niagara Falls.
Where is a good place to get the bushing? I'm gonna pick up a few of them.

John O