Out with the old . . .

chrisgarrett

Registered Member
Pulled this puppy again. Finally, going to get rid of this damn leaky girdle and go with steel caps. I could never get the damn thing to seal-up properly.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 319
Did you make sure the clearances were set? I had one that I had a hard time getting the clearances right. It was because the bottom was not very close to being square. Had to machine it flat.
What sealant did you use?
Fill the nut recesses?

Did you make sure the clearances were set? I had one that I had a hard time getting the clearances right. It was because the bottom was not very close to being square. Had to machine it flat.
What sealant did you use?
Fill the nut recesses?

It was clearanced, used Right Stuff and yes, the nut recesses were filled. Does anyone have a girdle that doesn't leak?

YUP,
Iv'e built 4 girdled engines right here in Spokane, WA. and not ONE of them leak a drop. I also have a machinist here that is dead on with these engines and they all are still running strong with NO issues. In fact I have another 109 there now getting all the machine work done for myself. Absolutely nothing wrong with the roller in my car ( that's been running strong for 6 years ) just want a new spare bullet. Now have I had lifter problems? Probably more than anybody. But NOW that I threw all those piece of JUNK comp cam lifters in the garbage and installed new Morels NO!!! more lifter problem.

YUP,
Iv'e built 4 girdled engines right here in Spokane, WA. and not ONE of them leak a drop. I also have a machinist here that is dead on with these engines and they all are still running strong with NO issues. In fact I have another 109 there now getting all the machine work done for myself. Absolutely nothing wrong with the roller in my car ( that's been running strong for 6 years ) just want a new spare bullet. Now have I had lifter problems? Probably more than anybody. But NOW that I threw all those piece of JUNK comp cam lifters in the garbage and installed new Morels NO!!! more lifter problem.

You're the man Mike. :smile:

leaky girdle

It was clearanced, used Right Stuff and yes, the nut recesses were filled. Does anyone have a girdle that doesn't leak?

Mine leaked so bad had to take it out multiple times and never could get it to stop. If I drove it by the beach the E.P.A. would have seized it thinking it was the EXXON Valdez :eek: The $hitbox car I bought was rusted beyond all recognition so it was no big deal. Offed it and found another. I would rather have 4 billet steel caps, forged crank, rods, & main studs. But I would want it done on a bridgeport machine if possible.

Me? Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black thing? I'll bet you've pulled your motor(s) twice as many times as me. :smile:

I thought you would have caught that one! ;) ;)

I said that cuz Steve Wood thinks were both nuts for the amount of times we pull our motors!
Gotta stay busy in winter cuz I don't like Cold Weather! Thats why I have 3 engine stands!! Sorta like You! :)

PS: Just finished up one today. I'll get some pics but lets just say the new box of buffing balls works well!
Another is at the shop now & I think I found some CP pistons from Nick that are only 5 over.
Sorry to break up the thread! Myself I prefer main caps & no girdle for high 10's