Out Of Ideas. =[ Help!!!

That is awesome that your tearing into the engine! Good stuff. I am curious about your weiand intake manifold. It's really nice I have the same one, only yours says Smokey Yunick in front of the thermostat housing. Is that cast in there or is it etched? I can't really tell, Manifold looks good!

Many have put stock lt1 valvesprings in their engines for cheap and they work well with mild combinations is what I gather from here.

The block is casted with Smokey Yunick in it. The number is 7451 or 7541 or something like that. How much did you pay for yours? Did you bypass the air pump? Also do you know a part munber for the springs?

That is awesome that your tearing into the engine! Good stuff. I am curious about your weiand intake manifold. It's really nice I have the same one, only yours says Smokey Yunick in front of the thermostat housing. Is that cast in there or is it etched? I can't really tell, Manifold looks good!

Many have put stock lt1 valvesprings in their engines for cheap and they work well with mild combinations is what I gather from here.

That's the original Weiand intake designed by Smokey back in the day Adam.:biggrin: To get a water outlet you shoud be able to use one from a 2 barrel 3.8 but make sure to keep the one for the 4.1 safe. They're not easy to find now.

Delete the AIR pump if you can get away with it but check out your local inspection/emmision laws first. You'll need to post a pic of the mushroom thing because I have no idea of what you're talking about.

I agree with Adam on the springs. The Lt1 springs are a cheap upgrade and your springs are old. While you have them off change the valve seals. Use the ones you have on it to break in the cam and then change them. Make sure to use Valvolene (sp) straight 30 to do it though. It has the zinc content which will protect the cam for the break in.

As far as the cam, if you don't take the heads off don't get one with a max lift of more than .458 total and you should be good. The engine looks clean enough but put a towel in the valley and break up some of the crud up that's in it. You can use a vacume to suck it out if no one minds or doesn't know.:biggrin:

the old, and the new version.... I prefer the older version myself. its alittle smaller and has a tad bit more off the line response then the later smokey endorsed unit. The main difference, was that the older one never had provisions for use of a Dominater flanged carb. As far as I can understand and have learned, smokey believed that the wider patteren of a 600cfm 4500 flanged carb offered superior cylinder to cylinder distribution on high rpm 274 ci + roundy roundy engines.

I have only tried a 4500 series carb once on the intake and i was not impressed with its dog dead bottom end. just not enough motor for that intake if your under 252.

:biggrin:A.j.

The old one has a completely different thermostat housing and outlet and it's an air gap design.

Hey I have an extra Edelbrock performer intake, would you be interested in trading for your weiand? I will cover shipping both ways...

A.j.

Hey I have an extra Edelbrock performer intake, would you be interested in trading for your weiand? I will cover shipping both ways...

A.j.

No thanks A.j. I want to work with this intake the best I can. I think upgrading the cam and valve springs will help along with the fact that I am keeping the Q-jet. However if I change my mind I'll let you know.

-Mike

No thanks A.j. I want to work with this intake the best I can. I think upgrading the cam and valve springs will help along with the fact that I am keeping the Q-jet. However if I change my mind I'll let you know.

-Mike

wait for that bottom end take off....... i'll be here waiting.

wait for that bottom end take off....... i'll be here waiting.

LOL You're as bad as I am about collecting intakes Aj.:D So far I've got 4 4.1 intakes, 3 HA intakes, 2 carb/turbo ones, and 1 FWD SFI intake to play with.:eek: If he has bottom end issues I alrleady told him how to fix it.:tongue:

tc

For Gods sake set aside $30 for a new timing set!!!- AND buy yourself a can of antisieze and use it on every frakkin nut and bolt- get in the habit of it- you will thank that stuff 1000 times over next tear-down!!!