Ouch This is gonna hurt!!

fyrlt67

I sent my TA-49 off the Blaast for rebuild and this is what they found. Apparently in a previous rebuild someone put the wrong size thrust washer in it!
3961.jpg

3972.jpg

3992.jpg

Man that's kinda crappy

Looks like it might buff out with some emory cloth. Just throw it back together and hit the track. Why did you want the rebuild anyway? Was the turbo developing play in the shaft? Just curious.

Jerry jr.

I bought it off of the site had the intake adapter cone welded to it and a clocking adapter for the throttle body made. After the work I sent it off to have it rebuild prior to install when I bought it they said it needed a rebuild but didnt expect what they found. I thought about the emery cloth route, that and a little JB weld and it should be good to go!!

So a question for everyone since it needs new wheels and shaft if I go with a stage 3 (76) trim on the hot side and T04E 57 on the compressor side can I still run my stock converter or do I need to upgrade and if so any suggestions? As for the rest of the mix I am running 50# MSD injectors,walbro and hotwire,adj regulator, 86-87 ignition and ECM, Razor progressive alky, 3" dp/exhaust, ported heads/intake

Turbo

First off I don't think if I had a part that spun at 20000 rpm and was precision balanced I would try to be doing a quick backyard fix of emery cloth and JB weld. Sometimes you guys kill me. If I were you I'd just go ahead and get the thing upgraded to at least a TA60, 61 or 62. That is as big as you can go on a small shaft turbo. TA60 will work from stock stall up to 2800, 61 & 62 will require between 2800-3000 stall. Any of these will work well with 50lb injectors.

Pete

Yeah I am pretty sure I was joking about the emery cloth and JB weld!! I have already told Blaast to go ahead with the repair. I will talk to them about TA-6* upgrade as well, thanks for the input

So the turbo is back, injectors are in, new torque converter. While I had the take off I went ahead and tapped it for 2 alky injectors, Anyone have any advise on injector size for the alky?

If it's still a TA-49 then 10 gph (2 X 5 gph) should be good, that's what I run. If the turbo's bigger you could 14 gph (2 X 7 gph).

Wait.. They can make bigger turbos for these cars than the TA-33? I thought the TA-33 was the biggest?

Wait.. They can make bigger turbos for these cars than the TA-33? I thought the TA-33 was the biggest?

You can get a TA series turbo to work, but you'll need a carbon seal, some fabrication work and turbo reclocking. The fabrication work is getting the turbo to intake cone adapter cut and welded to the compressor outlet. You'll need an adapter the Jamie use to make (She might still) that allows you to bolt the Throttle body to the turbo. Reclocking is just getting everything aligned right.

Yeah you can go bigger!! Having the turbo clock adapter and the cone welded to the turbo was $400, have the turbo rebuilt-upgrade/carbon seals installed $800. #50 injectors,chip, alky injectors.......and it never ends. The pay off (please I hope) 11.XX in the quarter mile YAHOO

if I go out and eventually with the lotto, I can get a TA60 in there with all the work for 400, and a 2800 converter would be OK?

John

How about a Billet 6262

I just looked up a 6262 turbo and the first thing that pops right out is the inlet of the compressor. There's no bolting on the throttle body to that casing. Maybe something can be fabricated, but it'll be much more of a challenge than a TA series.

Been awhile since I have updated but the turbo is back and the reinstall is under way. Actually I have had it back for a while but boat project called me away. Here are a few pictures of the work. I had the intake and valve covers bead blasted. I had the intake off to tap for dual alky injection. New MSD 50# injectors installed, new chip and 86-87 ignition. I am looking forward to getting some drive time before the snow hits here.101_1539.jpg

101_1541.jpg

where you putting your alky nozzles? you have pictures of where the holes are. you might not want to think where your putting them

One is going to rear of the intake up high on the drivers side, the other is going to the front of the intake up high passengers side. One of the hole you see on the front was from the previous owner, the other was a mistake on my part. Those holes will be plugged. Is there a better place to put the injectors? I am alwaysopen to suggestions, I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here, If it worked for you it will work for me!!