OTC2000 help!

turbobooster

is there any guys here that still use this scantool or is knowledgelable about it? i just bought my first scan tool ever otc2000 it was cheap so y not one of my problems is after i punch in the year the vin # it asks press 1 if its a car once i do it right away reads chevy pti what does that mean ? does that matter am i punching in the wrong vin # ? im punching according to the chart it came so if anyone can chime in and help me out with any tips or any info thankyou

Can't claim to be too knowledgeable on the OTC but I was using one to work
on my t-type.Have to ask the dumb question first,are you using the proper
data cartridge(GM 81-87).If thats not it,somethings either wrong with the unit
or theres a number out of sequence,you should get buick 3.8v6 sfi on the readout.
Brian Lester

OTC 2000 For `86/87 TR's with 81-87 GM cartridge:

Key on or start engine.
1, 7, ENTER
1, 7, ENTER
(if you choose to set the mode at this point, the scan tool will try to maintain 1000 RPM for testing) instead key in:
0, ENTER
4,9 (enables road mode, disables 1k RPM set)
choose mode then ENTER

That's it, make sure the OTC plug fits tight in the diagnostic port.

HTH - Jimmy

damn its nice to hear from guys who have an idea bout this damn then something is wrong cuz it doesnt read 3.8 sfi turbo the catridge i have is the one the other person labeled GN and that he used and said it worked fine how can i tell if its the right gm 81-87 cartridge? can the cable that connects from the otc2000 to the aldl be the problem? there r 3 different aldl connectors all three look the same as far as the pins 2 of them say gm on the round end that hooks up to the otc2000 the other one says gm tpi and i believe thats wat i used jimmy thanx for that info so once i punch in those numbers i can punch in modes?

The TPI (Tuned Port Injection) cable is not correct for our cars. That's for a Chevy V-8. Try the other cables, I only have one marked "GM".
Yes, once the scanner is set up just enter your mode + ENTER for the first test.
From there you can cycle through the modes with the up/down arrow keys or enter a new mode number to change.

Here's a link to the various modes available: OTC2000 Modes

Let us know how it works out - Jimmy.

i will try those other cables out now it makes since wen i was scrolling up and down iwas basically going through all the different modes and at first very confusing because i didnt have that modes list but now i can refer to that list if i choose to scroll ...r these 81-87 GM cartridges still available ?

ok my results i checked the cartridge it reads "1989 3 in 1 GM CHRYS FORD" i also changed the aldl connector using the one that reads GM so i get the system on and it ask for model year i input 85 enter then it asks for vin # i input 9 enter then it ask engine size press 1 for 2.8 v6 press 2 for 3.8 v6 so i press 2 and it reads out 3.8 v6 PFI is that correct? or is something still not right?
hey jimmy u know u said just punch in 1,7 enter 1,7 enter at start up well im not able to cuz it immediately ask for model year after the start up screen which is 0000000000 then xxxxxxxxxx so not sure wats up i am able to punch in modes and see different readings

My instuctions were for 86/87 TR's. Follow your on-screen prompts for your 1985 model as you did. You're on your way, PFI = Port Fuel Injection, that is correct and you found the correct cable. The idle should be a little high at that point (1000 testing RPM).
You can enter your MODE now or press 0, ENTER, 4,9 to get to ROAD MODE (actual set RPM for your engine).
From there select a MODE (test parameter).

Test away! -Jimmy

ok good to hear now wat exactly is road mode? does that mean the car has to b driving while testing if im trying to dial in my iac and tps while the car is in park not in motion shouldnt i b out of road mode?

Yes, the 2000 tries to raise the idle to 1K for static testing.
However, it's best to adjust your sensors at the car's actual RPMs so use the Road Mode even at idle in park and, of course, while driving and checking.

does the otc2000 read knock? if so wat mode is it ? i took a look at the modes list and the 2 modes that r for knock say yes / no does that need to b activated to yes in order to get knock readings? how do u switch between yes and no? sorry for all the questions and thans for all the info and qwik answers

Yes it will show you knock. Bear in mind, the 2000 updates very slowly compared to a Scanmaster or Powerlogger. So what you see has already happened more than a second ago vs. up to 20 times a second on other tools.

That being said;

Mode 50 shows both LV8 (engine load) and Knock Retard in degrees.

Mode 52 shows Knock as a simple Yes or No (nothing to set here, just shows if knock is happening).

And as a precaution..... YOU MUST BE IN ROAD MODE if you are going to be monitoring while the car is moving. And NEVER EVER to WOT unless you are in road mode!

It's been so many years that I can't remember how to get it into road mode. Hopefully someone on here can help you do that.

hey thanx dave jimmy knows his stuff wen it comes to this scantool heres my thing before i got this scantool my stock tach(which is garbage ) would read 2700 on idle which i knew couldnt b right so once i got the scantool hooked up it really read 1100 so i have always revd it till the red line on the stock tach but now that i have true readings i really havent wot on the car yet wen its redlining on the stock tach im really only at 3000 trips me out but in order to adjust iac and tps i have to wot which would b 5500 rpms rite?

hey thanx dave jimmy knows his stuff wen it comes to this scantool heres my thing before i got this scantool my stock tach(which is garbage ) would read 2700 on idle which i knew couldnt b right so once i got the scantool hooked up it really read 1100 so i have always revd it till the red line on the stock tach but now that i have true readings i really havent wot on the car yet wen its redlining on the stock tach im really only at 3000 trips me out but in order to adjust iac and tps i have to wot which would b 5500 rpms rite?

You DO NOT want to adjust the TPS with the engine running!!!!!!!!! Idle OK but NOT WOT! :eek:

IAC is adjusted during idle ONLY!!

ok thanx so when adjusting my tps only key on engine off so on my scantool i should have it in tps mode to read volts ? the procedure says wen in idle so wat does that mean if engine isnt running?

ok guys need help i dont know wats going on i get the system on and going ok i punch in mode 01 which on the mode list is for rpm/battery voltage but it only shows rpm how do i get to the battery voltage reading as it also is mode 01 ? or even if i punch in 08 its so soppose to display rpm/TPS according to the mode list but it only shows rpm? the other thing most important to me now is i really have been wanting to adjust my tps and iac the problem is wen i go to punch mode 26 iac counts or 41 tps it says unused ? y does it do that how am i soppose to adjust wen i cant get these 2 readings? any help

Hang in there turbobooster, I lost the subscription to this thread and just found it tonight. I'll charge the laptop overnight so I can address your questions from the GN with the OTC 2000 running.

Just a few notes: You need to be in ROAD MODE to get the 2 different modes on-screen at one time such as: MODE 01 RPM/VOLTS. And you can adjust TPS at idle and WOT with the key on/engine off.

Thanks Turbodave, your recommendations are spot-on. More to come when I can get this thread to the car. -Jimmy

Attachments

• PA080019.jpg
    PA080019.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 196