original paint buffing

GSX-PKV

My car has original paint and it looks decent but is starting to show it's age. I use Zaino products (and have tried just about everything else) and it shines nice, but I can notice some slight cloudy areas and many imperfections when it's in the bright sun. I'm thinking of buying a Griot's Garage 6" random orbital buffer to see what I can do to improve the paint. Has anyone had any experience with something like this? Maybe I'm expecting too much, because most people who see my car think it looks nice, but you know how particular we can be when it comes to our black cars. Thanks for any tips or advice. Paul

My car has original paint and it looks decent but is starting to show it's age. I use Zaino products (and have tried just about everything else) and it shines nice, but I can notice some slight cloudy areas and many imperfections when it's in the bright sun. I'm thinking of buying a Griot's Garage 6" random orbital buffer to see what I can do to improve the paint. Has anyone had any experience with something like this? Maybe I'm expecting too much, because most people who see my car think it looks nice, but you know how particular we can be when it comes to our black cars. Thanks for any tips or advice. Paul
i use both their 6" and 3" orbitals....they work awesome...i have tried a ton of stuff over the years and have settled on Griot's products.....i detail a ton of cars every year and thats all I use.....as a matter of fact I just detailed an orange bucket truck for a tree service....used both orbitals for that job......if you want to pm me for more info, feel free

orbital buffers tend to leave swirl marks in your paint. if your going to buy a buffer , buy a real high speed one and take your time learning to use it. the results will be 10 fold. with this type of buffer you can do light wet sanding then buff back to a shine.

orbital buffers tend to leave swirl marks in your paint. if your going to buy a buffer , buy a real high speed one and take your time learning to use it. the results will be 10 fold. with this type of buffer you can do light wet sanding then buff back to a shine.
yeah the cheap ones do, not this one....been using it for years..most people can't master a rotary and end up burning through the paint

Use a random-orbital polisher... they do not burn through the paint and reduce swirl marks

I got the new Griot random orbital buffer Friday and used it this weekend on my car. I applied one coat of #3 polish on what I thought was a pretty clean car to start with (I just applied a hand applied cleaner/polish a couple weeks ago) and got loads of old black muck off the car. I'll give it another pass of #3 polish and then apply the wax and I think it will look great, especially for an original paint car. I'm glad I bought the buffer but now my wife, daughter and son in law want me to do their cars too :) Paul

I got the new Griot random orbital buffer Friday and used it this weekend on my car. I applied one coat of #3 polish on what I thought was a pretty clean car to start with (I just applied a hand applied cleaner/polish a couple weeks ago) and got loads of old black muck off the car. I'll give it another pass of #3 polish and then apply the wax and I think it will look great, especially for an original paint car. I'm glad I bought the buffer but now my wife, daughter and son in law want me to do their cars too :) Paul
you wont be disappointed with another pass of the #3...have u clay barred the car at all? and what wax are you using?

Might be a little late now but in the past when I was getting ready to buff a car I would wash it once or twice with ordinary dish detergent.Digs in and gets rid of dirt and a good amount of old wax,usually resulting in less swirls and marks left by the old wax residue.

Might be a little late now but in the past when I was getting ready to buff a car I would wash it once or twice with ordinary dish detergent.Digs in and gets rid of dirt and a good amount of old wax,usually resulting in less swirls and marks left by the old wax residue.

ive done the same in the past, but now I use a microfiber bug scrubber (doesnt scratch) and paint prep from Griots...much faster getting the residue off

I have washed the car with Dawn detergent and clay barred it. I applied one coat of Griot's #3 polish. I'll give it another coat of #3 and then plan on applying the Griot wax over that. I have several other brands of waxes/polishes and wondered if I could use those or should I just stick with the Griot products to be safe. Paul

I have washed the car with Dawn detergent and clay barred it. I applied one coat of Griot's #3 polish. I'll give it another coat of #3 and then plan on applying the Griot wax over that. I have several other brands of waxes/polishes and wondered if I could use those or should I just stick with the Griot products to be safe. Paul
stick with either the best of show wax or the carnauba wax from them....i gave away all my other waxes/polishes...havent looked back

If your sticking with Griots Products, I prefer there Carnuba Wax over the best of show on Black. My favorite though is Pinnacle Souveran.