Original GNX VSS Sensor SOLD

GNVenom

gnx_vss.jpg Sold.

Last edited:
gnx didnt use that part , thats from the avc/PI gnx style vdo dash setups
the GnX used the stock optic sensor similar to the way the stock gn dash worked and they made a rectangular hole on the back of the stewart warner 160 speedometer for the optic to fit into

gnx speedometer back side pic ..

Attachments

• c1_1.jpg
    c1_1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 50
Actually that rectangle hole was one of my designs on the "exact" reproduction GNX dashes sold some years ago. It used a special round pop-in steel plug that mounted in the unused bulb hole, with a spot-welded and threaded L bracket, with a hex nut to hold the pickup opto head. The cases had to be opened, and the rectangle had to be cut into the back, then re-crimped. Was a real PITA.

Those rectangle holes weren't on the factory speedometers.

Not exactly. The converter uses a 16 pulse sender, and converts it to a 2 pulse signal. This one is a 2-pulse sender, which needs no converter to work.

When we designed that converter, the only senders available were 16 pulse. Would have been nice if we could get 2 pulse senders, as it wouldn't need an extra circuit to make it work.

That VSS looks identical to the one my old AVC dash used, same setup and everything. AVC must have used the same setup as the GNXs? Pretty smart...

That's very possible. There was really only one player making GM VSS senders back then, a company named Arthur Allen in Wisconsin. AVC likely just used what was available. Once that company went bust sometime early 2000, it caused a problem because there weren't any other domestic manufacturers of the senders. I'm not sure who makes them today.

Current gauge manufacturers use GPS based info to determine road speed. And, some have relevant outputs from the gauge to feed the car its signal, so the mechanical sender is soon to be a lost art.

Actually that rectangle hole was one of my designs on the "exact" reproduction GNX dashes sold some years ago. It used a special round pop-in steel plug that mounted in the unused bulb hole, with a spot-welded and threaded L bracket, with a hex nut to hold the pickup opto head. The cases had to be opened, and the rectangle had to be cut into the back, then re-crimped. Was a real PITA.

Those rectangle holes weren't on the factory speedometers.
Yes, I have one of these dashes.had problems wit the vss reading the sw speedometer..

I took the sw speedometer apart, painted inside housing white... I installed pieces of chrome pinstripe on the ring inside so the sensor could pick up the rotation of the ring..... Put it all back togather and it now works.. the scan master reads the signal. What a pain in the ars!

I took the sw speedometer apart, painted inside housing white... I installed pieces of chrome pinstripe on the ring inside so the sensor could pick up the rotation of the ring..... Put it all back togather and it now works.. the scan master reads the signal. What a pain in the ars!
*****All that being said, I am considering purchasing these items..****