Ordering a chip from Ramchargers- Need Opinions

6=8

11 Year GN Owner/Operator
I am ording a new IC from Ramchargers, and will be providing the information tomorrow on what it is I want.

Trouble is, I'm not really sure!

I have a stock injectors, turbo, and "Almost" stock Exhaust (Postons). I've been running on a Kenne Bell chip for a while, but as I have learned, this is old tech (And the fan doesnt turn on until the temp is 200 degrees!) I popped in an ATR chip last week, and while the car runs way cooler (Better fan program) I get over 20 KR on the scanmaster when I go past 1/2 throttle! Way too much timing, as I have also read on this board.

I'm currently running 93- 95 octane (Mixing the crappy 91 with 100 per a mixing chart I got from a local 76 source) and the boost is set around 14-15 PSI. Runs OK, but I'm looking for a little more.

I plan on getting an Alcohol Injection by October, which I am hoping will allow me to run about the same setup on 91 octane without the $5 a gallon 100 octane mix. :eek:

My GN has 150,000 mi, so I don't need to push it too hard. I drive it everyday, but I've never been that nice to it, either ;)

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Do you have an adj fuel pressure regulator? If so I'd recommend a Thrasher chip (need to set the fuel pressure to 45psi), they work VERY well on near stock cars & the driveabilty is simply awsome. My car ran consistent/solid 12.40's@110mph with a mild "recipe" combo, a 100 octane Thrasher & xylene homebrew.

150K... I hope you've replaced the timing set & valve springs!!! If not, I think you'll be very pleasantly suprised at how much power you'll regain esp. on the big end!

Doug C.

I would just start with their 93 street chip for stock injectors and start tuning with that.

Kenne-Bell chips should turn the fan on early at least my 1990 and 1992 chips did.

The Ramchargers chips work really well too! Both street and race chips. They are some of my favorite standard chips. I was really happy with them before I stepped up to the Extender which they also offer.

If you go the Thrasher route make sure to put in a 160* thermostat. My chip didnt work right untill I did.

Thanks for the responces!

Yeah, I have JUST replaced the valve springs, I put a 160 thermostat in about 4 years ago and replaced the timing set last year. This baby never ran so good, but I feel the chip is holding me back.

When I replaced the valve springs, It was shocking... I could, on a good day, only rev to 3,500 rpm. Now, I can actually see those red leds on the tach. (And a nice patch of rubber on the 1-2 shift!) It has been a L O N G time since it ran like this. I drive around with a big stupid grin on my face... Kind of like the one I got when I bought the car!

I do not have an adjustable FPR, and the fuel pump a stock replacment unit about 2 years old.

Before I go AFPR, I need to replace the injectors (150K stockers never been off the car!)

I am thinking the Ramchargers is my best bet with this mostly stock combo.

Anyone else have a thought or two? Thanks you guys...

It is on it's way!

The variables were:

Octane: 93
Boost: 15 psi
Injectors/fuel system: Stock
IC and Turbo: Stock

So, if any one else is considering one of Ramchargers chips, just know these items before you order.

Thanks for the help.